04 V70 Mysterious Window issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 V70 Mysterious Window issue

I did some searching on various platforms and the web in general looking for a solution to my problem, but I could not find anyone having the same issue that I am having. It started out as one issue and evolved into another one. Here is the history:

It all started with a front drivers window falling off the track. Easy diagnosis, the regulator and window slides were shot.
At this time the regulator and motor could freely move up and down.
Ordered a new Regulator and slides, swapped the motor.

During this process I unplugged several things in the front driver door, but nowhere else

After installing the new regulator and slides ( and re-assembling the window ), the window rolls up perfectly until it hits the top.
The problem is that it won't roll down ( not even a little bit ).
I removed the motor and tested it in my hand.
The motor moves in the up direction just fine.
It will not move in the reverse direction.
If I first use the window switch to roll the window up, then use the switch to roll it down: The motor will try to spin in the down direction for a tiny fraction of a second, then it shuts off. It's just barely enough to make it jump a little.

I disassembled the motor looking for any issues with the brushes or binding. I could not find any. The motor does not bind and the brushes look like they have plenty of life left in them.

The other 3 windows work perfectly ( as well as the sun roof ) This is an 04 V70 Wagon

I've also removed Fuse 35 ( left side door Module ) several times. It didn't help.
I tried re-calibrating the window by holding the window switch in the up position for several seconds while the window is rolled up. It made no difference.

I do not have a special volvo scanner.
I do have a volt meter, many tools and a good bit of automotive/electircal trouble shooting experience ( I just don't know how these windows work )
I noticed that the motor has at least 2 extra senors in it ( it has a total of 6 wires ). What do they do?

How to diagnose this? It all worked a few days ago. Now suddenly it doesn't.

I drove around for a while with the Front driver's window switch unit unplugged. Perhaps that made the window computer angry?

What could the issue be?

Last edited by hakachukai; 08-01-2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:11 AM
Received 597 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by hakachukai
I do not have a special volvo scanner.
You may need a compatible scanner to program the illustrated settings. The window may not be going down because the DDM thinks it's already down. Perhaps you could remove the motor, lower the window with the regulator, then install the motor with the glass at it's lowest point. Don't know if that's physically possible with the regulator in the car - and I realize the regulator is riveted onto the door panel (at least that's the way it was manufactured and that's how a new regulator would leave my shop - riveted back on with steels rivets)

Old 08-02-2022, 10:52 AM

I don't think that it is physically possible to lower the window and install the motor with the window down. But I do have an idea:
I took some measurements with a volt meter to find out which wires are driving the motor when the window is rolled up. It's a bit hard to see, but I labeled all of the connections in each picture according to how it operates when the window goes up.

I then created an admittedly dangerous device using a drill battery and some Romex I had laying around so that I could manually drive the motor backward to lower the window. It worked.

So this is exactly what I did:
Key Off
Removed the plug for the window motor
Manually lowered the window using the drill battery ( 100% It bottomed out in the door )
Removed Fuse 35 ( Left side window unit )
Installed the plug for the window motor
Waited 30 seconds
Replaced Fuse 35 ( Left side window unit )
Turned the key to position II
Used the Driver's side window switch to raise the window to fully closed position ( switch position 1, not position 2 [ which is auto raise ] )

Exact same behavior.
It rolls all the way up, but it will not roll down.
If I first roll it up, then roll it down the motor will attempt to roll down for about 0.1 seconds. Just enough to make it jump. But then it stops.

Last edited by hakachukai; 08-02-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:08 AM

I don't think that it is physically possible to lower the window and install the motor with the window down.
Sure just remove the window and regulator, take the motor off, manually move the regulator to the down position, (because that's where the DDM thinks it is) and reinstall everything. Or with a compatible scan tool .................................................. ..............................

Old 08-02-2022, 12:31 PM

That's what I just did. I just did it another way. I used a drill battery to lower the window. But it still didn't help :-(

Old 08-02-2022, 01:04 PM

I used a drill battery to lower the window.
You used a drill battery to power the motor to the down position? The motor may need to be in the up position and go further up - so

Leave the motor in the position it's in, remove motor, lower window regulator (with motor disconnected) reinstall motor with window down.

Or use your drill to lower window, disconnect motor, spin the motor in the up direction, reinstall motor, raise the window with the switch.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:14 PM

That is going to be really physically difficult, but I'll give it a shot

Old 08-03-2022, 12:32 AM

17Ok, so I did the window regulator position reset as suggested. Here is how I got it done and the result.

I used a large flat head screw driver to knock the window clips off. I forgot to take a pic with the clips on. This is after I knocked them off.

I Then used the large screw driver to pry the regulator ends out of the slider sockets ( they were under a lot of pressure )

That allowed me to remove the window.

I couldn't get the regulator all of the way out, but I was able to get it partially out which allowed me to remove the motor.

Fortunately the gear was not blocking the 3rd Window motor screw, so I was able to remove it.

I then set the regulator to the lowest position possible.

I re-installed the motor inside of the door using various tiny ratchets and torx bits

I installed the window motor plug

I re-installed the window glass in the lowest position possible. This required removing a foam circle cover and using various tools and trickery to hold the window glass in place, move the slider to the correct position and snap the regulator arm in place without flexing the window glass too much.

This enhanced image shows the front most regulator arm properly snapped into the window slide.

The rear window slide was easy. It was in the open, so I snapped it in.

I put the key in position II

I rolled the window all the way up using Driver's side window switch position 1 ( not auto raise ).

Same result.
The window goes up, but it won't come down.
Just like before. If I first roll it up, then roll it down... it will roll down for about 0.1 seconds then shut off. It's just enough to make the motor jump a little.

I wonder if the motor is properly sending pulse signals to the DDM. How to test using basic gear? Maybe an LED and a resistor?

Last edited by hakachukai; 08-03-2022 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:55 AM

Guess it's back to using a compatible scan tool to set window positions as mentioned earlier. Sorry

Old 08-04-2022, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Guess it's back to using a compatible scan tool to set window positions as mentioned earlier. Sorry
I don't see that you calibrated it, follow this video, do it with everything installed , starting with window down.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:28 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot! Here are the steps that I took from the video:

1. Ignition Position II
2. Roll window down in automatic mode ( with door shut )
3. Roll window up in automatic mode ( with door shut )
4. Pull fuse 35 when the window stops
5. Remove key from ignition
6. Wait about 1 minute until the lights all shut off ( listen for 2 clicks )[ with the door shut ]
7. Install fuse 35
8. Ignition Position II
9. Roll window down in automatic mode
10. Roll window up in automatic mode

It should be calibrated

I'll let you know how it goes

Last edited by hakachukai; 08-04-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:51 PM

Fail!
I can't even do step 3 because automatic up does not work. Only manual up.
Down does not work at all.
I'm starting to wonder if the motor is even sending clock pulses to the DDM.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:26 PM
Default Same Issue!

Jumping into this thread and hoping for some help!

2001 Volvo V70. Front passenger window, rolled down, but would not roll back up. Tried both driver and passenger switches, and got no sounds from motor or switch.

Consulted multiple threads and tried all of the suggested tricks: lock-unlock five times, pull fuses, power down vehicle, burned sage, and made offering to Swede gods. No joy.

Time to get serious. Removal of passenger door card was pretty easy. Unplugging the motor was a PITA due to the window being down. Checked motor plugs and they looked fine. Blew out with air and added dialectic grease type stuff. Tried again. No joy.

Repeated the above mentioned tricks, and the window went up! Hurrah!

Now it won’t go down! When you push the switch up, it moves a few millimeters. When you push the switch down, it acts like it’s going to work and goes down a few millimeters, but pops back closed. Can’t see any obvious obstructions or mechanical issues. Tried the various calibration videos with no luck

In conclusion, getting power, window rolled up, motor moves, but won’t go down.

Any advice, help, or guesses? Thanks!