Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Drivers window motor noise at full down

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers window motor noise at full down

Hi All

Another Newbie on board so forgive my total lack of knowledge or sense

I have but a deposit down on a late 02 C70. It is beingsold bya local Volvo dealership, has one owner, 21700 miles and full service history.It looks so sweet inside that I could believe that my Son was the first to actually sit in the back seats - the look as fresh as they would coming out of the factory. It also comes with a full 1 year warranty backed by Volvo.

The only ****leI have with the car is that I noticed thatthe drivers window makes a single loudbang each time it hits the bottom of its travel.The passenger window and sunroof are fine. What problem does this point to?

I am going to get the dealership to rectify the problem before I collect anyway but I am still interested in why from those in the know.

Jay

Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Default RE: Drivers window motor noise at full down

Noises are hard to convey via e-mail, but it may be something loose in the mounting of the window regulator into the door, or within the window regulator mechanism itself. If you continue to hold the switch down, after the window is fully down, does the regulator make a repetitive banging/knocking sound? Or is it just the one bang when it gets to the bottom? Also, if your car has "one-touch" auto-down, does it do the same thing with the auto-down, as it does if you hold the switch down?

In the end you probably need to remove the door panel to watch what is happening. It may be that one or more of the bolts that hold the regulator mechanism to the metal of the door is loose, leading to a single bang as the window hits the end of its travel, and is "tensioned" by the motor. It may also be in the attachment of the regulator mechanism to the track that is at the bottom of the window glass. If you are getting a repetitive banging, then I'd look at the alignment between the motor pinion gear and the teeth of the regulator, as well as for worn teeth, that might be "slipping gears" when the window is all the way up or down.

The dealer should of course fix this before selling the car. Since the driver window is the one that gets the most use, it is the one where the mechanism is most prone towear-out or failure.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The rubber stop at the bottom of the regulator is missing.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:04 PM

Thanks Guys

I will let you know what the dealership finds.Really looking forward to picking up the car.