2005 Volvo V70 R wagon, replacing adjustable struts, what else should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Volvo V70 R wagon, replacing adjustable struts, what else should I replace?

Due to the wonderful road conditions here in RI in the winter, my poor V70R nearly got swallowed by a pothole. It took out the tire (Michelin Pilot Sport), crappy Borbet wheel (no great loss), and the front passenger side strut got bent as well. I've got a good used front strut (Monroe) to put in as I await the arrival (8 weeks) of the brand new ones (Monroe). Also picked up a lower control arm and ball joint just in case those are bent as well.My question is: what else should I replace when replacing just the strut , new bump stops?, top rubber spring seat?, the springs themselves?. Thanks for your help. Paul , Providence, RI

Old 04-25-2019, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I would do new spring seats, fasteners, bump stop and the shocks.

Spring seats were always the bain of the 850/V70s - you can look if IPD or others have a heavy duty option for the 4C shocks, otherwise have Tasca Parts send you Genuine Volvo seats. I'd also recommend replacing all the bolts/nuts, and if your struts have the through bolt holding it to the knuckle, those are must replace as the threads stretch on install. In terms of bump stops/dust boots, you can inspect but they are not a high cost part and its always cleaner to freshen up and be factory new for another 100K miles. I wouldn't bother replacing the springs, generally they should be reuseable but inspect for any cracking etc. Also look to see if your car uses any other rubber bits like a seat pad that can easily be replaced.

Beyond the shocks, you should inspect/replace worn sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, tie rod ends in addition to the control arm/ball joint. You will need to do an alignment after installing the struts so replacing all front suspension wear items at once will save on a second aligment.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Default Thank you, That's exactly what I needed to know!

Yes, I checked IPD and they had a heavy duty spring seat so I bought a pair. Also got some new bump stops as well.Still haven't got my sun roof to open yet, I tried a couple of the easy recommended fixes (locking and unlocking drivers door three times) , but still no workie. My German Shepard is pissed at me as he loves to sit in the back seat of my wife's XC 70 with his front paws on the center arm rest and stick his head out of the sunroof. He is limited to the passenger side rear window in my V70 R for now. Thanks again, Paul

Old 08-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Default Got the IPD front and rear anti-sway bars along with new f&r IPD springs.

I also have a new pair of Monroe 4 C shocks for the rear. I'm guessing the shocks should be installed first , and then the sway bar. But if I'm wrong, please let me now. Thanks, P