Huge Water leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Huge Water leak

Hello,

I bought a 2002 V70 station wagon. Standard one, not turbo. Has a sun roof. This was about 2 yrs ago when I bought it.

It has been raining almost non stop the past few days.

I noticed that my driver's side floor is wet. I also noticed there is some water (not a lot) dripping from the sunroof through the headliner.

I had some issues with the sun roof not opening and I finally closed it (this was few months ago).

Also the driver's side headlight glass is broken. I had clear tape over it which is torn in places....would this perhaps causes the water to get into the car on the driver's side? But how would it travel all that distance to the carpet without draining ?

I used a shampooer to suck the water out of the car, when I lifted the driver's side carpet, I noticed that the thick foam insulation under was soaked too.

I probably sucked out 2 gallons of water from the carpet and under it.

Any ideas where all this water is coming from ??

If it was through the sun roof the headliner would be soaking wet and the water would soak me too when I drove the car.

I also noticed that the part of the floor carpet that was wet is the horizontal part (Not the carpet that is vertical behind the brake and gas pedals).

Are there experts in the house who know about this and can help me please ?

Thank you.
AJ

Last edited by In California; 05-21-2019 at 02:32 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 06-16-2019, 10:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The broken headlight glass cannot be the source of water into your car's interior. First off, get the headlight assembly (it's a plastic box) dry by removing the lamps and hitting it with a hair dryer. Move the hair dryer's position from time to time during this process as that'll help speed thing along.

Do this sooner than later as the dampness will effect the reflective lenses' coating and bulb contact hardware.
Apply dielectric grease to the bulb contacts when reinstalling. This will slow or even stop any corrosion which may have begun.
After it's all dry fill any voids in the cracked lens with silicone rubber to keep water out. Consider replacement with junkyard parts.

The water accumulating on your floor sounds like it's coming from clogged or cracked sunroof drain lines. Clogging speaks for itself-clear them.
These lines are plastic and fatigue with age. They can split anywhere they want to or let go from any barb fitting.
I do not know if there are one or two lines.

I personally hate sunroofs for that reason. Plus the machinery breaks. Be ready to cut a slit into the headliner and crank it manually in order to address this problem.

NOTE: As always with water on the floor, make certain it isn't coolant leaking from the heater core.
Has the coolant level been dropping?
Was it indeed water you sucked out of the mat?
Coolant is slippery and you most likely could tell it was just water.

Another thing you can do if you don't mind "looking ugly". After getting the car's interior dry-use big fans on a dry day if you need to- simply cover the surround of the sunroof with hearty tape and let it be through many rainstorms or hit it with water or go through a car wash.
If the leak stops you know it's the sunroof drains.
Use Goo-Gone to remove any tape residue.

What you have to do is not all that challenging. It's just a pain in the lower back.