Just replaced my valve body...again

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced my valve body...again

So, i have been having this issue for 3 months now. I bought this car (2001 Vovlo v70 xc) from a dealer here in Portland Or. When I test drove it i noticed hard shifting between 1sy and 2nd gear. Would clunk into second. This doesn't happen all the time but seems to happen more when the car is warmed up.

So in the condition of sale the agreed to repair that issue for me. So i bought it and they sent it to the shop. It was there for over 2 months!Boy was I happy to get it back. So i hop in and guess what? Same issue...hard shifting from 1st to 2nd!

I talked to the shop directly and they suggested getting the software updated at the dealer. So off to the dealer I went. Software is up to date. So I talk it back to the shop and tell them. The shop tells me that they put in a re-bulit valve body and they don't always work. If I want to solve this problem I need to buy a "new" valve body and they will put it with the warranty labor. I agree and ask them to also replace the B4 servo cover.

So yesterday I get it back from the shop and guess what? Hard shifting between 1st and 2nd! I should note that I did take it to the dealer after each valve body and have them put the car into "adaptive mode" to reset the shifting learn mode.

1. dealer replaced valve body with re-built one $850.00
2. I replaced with new valve body $1250
B4 Servo and and software checked out.

What should I do. I can't keep putting a mortgage payment worth of repairs into this car every month. I am so frustrated and upset. I don't know what to do now.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think this is a pleasant answer, but I would return the car to the dealer for a refund. They cheated on you. All 2001-2002 Volvos in the junk yards have good engines and blown transmissions. It's the most frequent issue discussed on forums, that and the PCV system. There is no cure, a new transmission is $7000 and I've read about people who still had issues with the new ones, because for Volvo new means partially rebuilt.

P.S. Volvo will bluntly lie you on this, and suggest more repairs.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by oragex
I don't think this is a pleasant answer, but I would return the car to the dealer for a refund. They cheated on you. All 2001-2002 Volvos in the junk yards have good engines and blown transmissions. It's the most frequent issue discussed on forums, that and the PCV system. There is no cure, a new transmission is $7000 and I've read about people who still had issues with the new ones, because for Volvo new means partially rebuilt.

P.S. Volvo will bluntly lie you on this, and suggest more repairs.
I agree with the post above. I don't have a V70 but I do have an 02 S60. My Transmission ended up slipping between 2nd and 3rd. Had it replaced with a salvaged V70 03 Tranny with about 55k on it. Did it at about 100k my car now has 173k.

I never heard that this issue was for the most part confined to 2001 and 2002. But I do know that basically any first generation car will always have issues. All these early Volvos when Ford switched them over to Front Wheel drive have had some issues. Transmission issues are number #1.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stop_at_willoughby
I agree with the post above. I don't have a V70 but I do have an 02 S60. My Transmission ended up slipping between 2nd and 3rd. Had it replaced with a salvaged V70 03 Tranny with about 55k on it. Did it at about 100k my car now has 173k.

I never heard that this issue was for the most part confined to 2001 and 2002. But I do know that basically any first generation car will always have issues. All these early Volvos when Ford switched them over to Front Wheel drive have had some issues. Transmission issues are number #1.

That is interesting to learn.

Basically you swapped a post 2002 transmission to a 2001-2002 car. Did you had to do other modifications, such as trans axles, or main computer programming? This is very good information for 2001-2 owners, as it gives them access to the more robust 2003+ transmissions from salvage.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Well, I rode out to the dealership today. They advised me that I need to take it up with the transmission shop. They said they would be happy to try and pressure the transmission shop into upholding the warranty. The transmission shops position is that the warranty covers the valve body and the labor. So now that I know its not the valve body...my options (according to the transmission shop) are to have the transmission shop keep throwing valve bodies in it, or again pay them for more parts and labor that may or may not fix this issue.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by oragex
That is interesting to learn.

Basically you swapped a post 2002 transmission to a 2001-2002 car. Did you had to do other modifications, such as trans axles, or main computer programming? This is very good information for 2001-2 owners, as it gives them access to the more robust 2003+ transmissions from salvage.
I had it done about 4 years ago. Kinda before I became a DIY person. It was not done by Volvo directly they refused to do anything other than replace the transmission completely.

As far as I know. As long as it is a P2 Chassis which IPD calls (S60, S80, V70) From the proper years you can look it up. All the transmissions are interchangeable as far as I know. I could be wrong with like 06 and later. But I am pretty sure 03, 04, 05 were no problem. They transmission shop never told me they did any kind of computer upgrade. I am sure I would have been called about a fee if they did. They did call me later about transmission harness that had to be rewired. They knew it was going to have to be done but never told me because they where shysters and wanted to call and say its going to be extra so and so. Very big reason as to why I am on the forums now.

I know when the transmission went bad. As others have reported. They said metal scraps was in the transmission fluid. Same story with mine.

If you read this site enough you will still see transmission problems even similar one for different era cars. But in my opinion knowing what I do know I would avoid the P2 Chassis from 01-02. I think S80 had a 00 model would avoid that also.

Last edited by stop_at_willoughby; 03-23-2014 at 05:34 AM.