knocking noise and coolant leak in my v70 xc

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking noise and coolant leak in my v70 xc

Hey i have an 02 v70 xc and there are some noises... They aren't in the engine, but with the speed of the car itself. It's a knocking coming from the rear right and front right wheel. I think it might be the wheel bearings or cv joints? The back right noise is almost always there and occasionally the front especially when I'm turning right on a ramp on the highway when there's a lot of sideways stress.

I also have a knock when I brake/accelerate somewhat abruptly. I think theres just a tiny bit of play in the motor mounts, but if its just cosmetic nose I'm just gonna leave it.

And finally i have a coolant leak somewhere.. Every few weeks I have to top off the resovoir when the low coolant light comes on. I haven't noticed any wet spots under the car. Maybe because its too small of a leak or it could be the head gasket?

I haven't really worked on cars, but I rebuild dirtbike engines so I know a bit.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

check the floor carpets front/rear for wetness - any sweet smell in the cabin when the heat starts to come on? - could be a leaky heater core. A head gasket would probably create some white smoke and perhaps an odd smell on your morning start up.

For the road noise, you should inspect the sway bar end links and the sway bar mounting brackets and bushings. Wheel bearings usually moan (ie a wub wub wub noise that changes with road speed say from 10 to 40 mph). CV joints typically click but can thump when making hard turns like when backing out of a garage. When inspecting the sway bars, also inspect the CV joints for torn or leaking boots. If you noise is a thump - it could also be strut mount (front and rear can fail). Usually worst going over a speed bump or railroad tracks etc. For the motor mounts/torque rods, you can have a helper where one person power brakes the car (full brake, in gear, put some power on) to see if the can induce the motor to rock to expose which mount may be bad... (stand to the side and have a trusty side kick)

Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
check the floor carpets front/rear for wetness - any sweet smell in the cabin when the heat starts to come on? - could be a leaky heater core. A head gasket would probably create some white smoke and perhaps an odd smell on your morning start up.

For the road noise, you should inspect the sway bar end links and the sway bar mounting brackets and bushings. Wheel bearings usually moan (ie a wub wub wub noise that changes with road speed say from 10 to 40 mph). CV joints typically click but can thump when making hard turns like when backing out of a garage. When inspecting the sway bars, also inspect the CV joints for torn or leaking boots. If you noise is a thump - it could also be strut mount (front and rear can fail). Usually worst going over a speed bump or railroad tracks etc. For the motor mounts/torque rods, you can have a helper where one person power brakes the car (full brake, in gear, put some power on) to see if the can induce the motor to rock to expose which mount may be bad... (stand to the side and have a trusty side kick)
Ill check the heat tomorrow.

I think wheel bearings are the top candiddate because it sounds like what you explained. Ill look into and inspect everything tomorrow.
Thanks

Old 03-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

also, tire cupping can cause road noise - check your tires for wear and rotate front to rear to see if that changes the sound.