New owner 2001 V70 T5

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner 2001 V70 T5

New member here. Just picked up a nice and clean(no accidents) 2001 V70 T5 auto couple weeks ago for $3700 and I am in the process of getting some front end work done and some new tires at my trusted independent Volvo mechanic. When he checked car out he told me it probably needs a new rack, and needs a motor mount. Also getting new tires,shame is lots of tread but 6years old and rides hard. Car only has 114300 miles and drives real solid. Has had all the common issues taken care of recentlyover the past 30000 Miles. Had a rebuilt trans at 80,000 by first owner,second owner recently repaired,throttle body -PVC, -heater Core all within last two years before he had to sell it for health reasons. Oh Also just had timing belt,tensioner replaced two months ago with a new heater core. Looking for advice on tires and input on struts /shocks. I have a 98 V70 GLT w/ 165,000 that rides great. This one could use some “softening”. Interested to hear some opinions. Mechanic is going to be giving me some options when he gets everything apart over the next day or so. Love .the car and looking to keep it for a long time.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 PM

Pretty clean,hoping to help the seats a bit ,no rips though.
Sorry about the bad pic

Old 02-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your car wasn't driven 20 miles a day during its previous lives. Good thing the PVC was done.

One "rides hard" while the older one "needs softening". When they're both operational set all 8 tires at 38psi and reevaluate the ride. Check the spares too.

I put Sachs SuperTourings on my 2002 at 167K. Felt just OK. After installing Bilsteins (H6 Heavy Duty) on another vehicle, that's all I'd consider buying. I have H6 waiting for my 2007 (and better weather).

Monroe and KYB products seem to be junk going by what threads say. Maybe OEM replacements when the time comes.

I can see the "early era" trannie going out but why so the heater core?

Do check the parking brake shoes for delamination. You only want Volvo parking brake shoes. Many say that for the service brakes too but there is room for some other makers' good stuff.

Just for giggles, do a trannie drain and fill even though the unit is just "35K old".

Fluids: Red PS fluid is bad. Pentosin CHF-11S for that. Coolant OK? Is yours the Volvo dark blue? Make sure it's not 17 years old. You can switch to G-05 or replace with Volvo. My '07 came with pale green coolant said to be Volvo brand. A tad confusing. I bought Beck & Arnley replacement blue back when I had my 2002. I do not know if I'll use it when I do my coolant maintenance or go with what Volvo is now selling.

Get back to us after your mechanic does his detailed examination.

I like the wheels you got. What diameter are they? I have the "Echos" on my car.

My dry leather driver seat fell apart. I went for a professionally reupholstered seat in an indistinguishable vinyl for less $.

Best of luck with it.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; 02-14-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: I forgot something
Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 AM
Default New rack and motor mount,no surprises

Well looks like the rack is the problem with my loose steering. Also upper motor mount cause of slight vibration in steering column. Will be replacing both and leaving the rest of front end stat for now. Still some life in shocks and struts. Will be getting Continental extremecontacts put on at mechanics advice. Heard good things. These are 17”
wheels. Also changing out cabin filter. Hopefully this will do it for a bit. Should get her back by Friday . Looking forward to taking her out with all the upgrades. Will be taking on the sound system eventually , but was pleasantly surprised at how good stock one sounds.
Thx for input. BTW just moved out here to Northern California from Bergen County 6 years ago, was born in Hackensack.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Oh well, didn’t get car back as mechanic ran into problem after new tires were put on. On test drive when turning wheel all the way the power steering didn’t function correctly all the way though a turn. After looking around for a bit, He now thinks it might be the reservoir. Mechanics dad was a Volvo/Saab dealer mechanic for twenty years and mentioned this to him. Will put new one in Tuesday and see what happens. Said dealer always kept them in stock .
i think the rack required dropping subframe on this car,told me it’s a tight fit. Did replace all lower control arms.
will be looking at getting some Billsteins touring struts/shocks when finances allow, originals ok for a bit longer was told. Has to be.
he did say it drove real nice. Good to hear.