P2 V70 Shopping Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P2 V70 Shopping Questions

I'm in the early stages of searching for a newer wagon to replace my 2000 Mecrury Sable LS Premium wagon. My Sable has plenty of life in it, but I'm getting the itch to move onto something else. I still want a wagon just because it gives me cargo hauling functionality between my wife's Camry and my Titan. I really like the Cadillac CTS wagon, but it's out of my price range and a bit small in the "wagon" department.

I've recently seen a V70R wagon in my area a few times, and it got me thinking about a Volvo wagon. Yes, I'd love a V70R. But, I'm in a lower potential hassle and cost phase right now. After some online exploration, I think I've settled on looking for a 2005 V70 T5. It seems to have the best balance between power and practicality. A 2004 is an option. I really don't want to go much older than that. Looks like 2004-2005 T5s are pretty rare. I see lots of 2001 T5s. If a T5 doesn't pan out, a 2006-2007 2.5T would be my next choice.

So, now onto the questions.

1) Is there anything in particular to look for in this vintage of V70 besides routine maintenance, timing belt/water pump, PCV service, front end issues? I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, so not adverse to crawling under a car to look at something. Any other common issues to look for?
2) What's economical approach to brake upgrades? I know the T5 has larger front rotors. But, any improvement that can be made with a T5 or 2.5T I would consider. Not looking to spend $1K on a brake upgrade, however. I'm looking for cars with 17" wheels or will upgrade to 17" or 18" wheels at some point.
3) Has anyone added front seat heaters? I know you can't use the factory buttons on the center stack due to the integration into the CANBUS. Some of the cars I've seen are southern cars and don't have seat heaters. Nice to have on sub-zero mornings!
4) I see lowering springs and anti-sway bars out there. So, those seem pretty straight forward.
5) The wing. You have to have the wing! Looks like getting it painted and drilling a few holes.
6) The 2005 V70 brochure (US) says the T5 has a sports suspension. Is it really any different than a 2.5T? I know Volvo dealers at one time sold a suspension kit (lowering springs and bigger anti-sway bars). Just wondering if that's what the T5 really had.
7) Does the audio system have an AUX input? If not, what are people using for an external input or Bluetooth, besides a new head unit?

I have the luxury of time and am willing to travel from NY to buy a car (purchased used cars in PA, NJ, and OK over the past 4 years). I'm not super picky - just no white exterior and prefer not to have a black interior! Unfortunately, I have yet to even sit in a V70 as the closest one is about 2 hours away. I'll keep reading through the V70 forum here to get a better feel for the car and any issues.

Thanks for your help.