Picking up 2006 V70

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up 2006 V70

Hello all! 👋🏼

New member here. I am getting a 2006 V70 with 65,200 miles

in a trade from my dad and was wondering what engine it has.

Im a Service Technician for other brands but know almost nothing about Volvo’s. I don’t have the car in possession yet. Just pictures my dad has sent me. He will be bringing it up to me from SoCal in a week or two.

I can see it’s a 5 cylinder but not sure if it’s turbo or not. AWD or not. I was trying to get an idea of how good the acceleration, reliability and general view of how nice of a vehicle I can expect this to be.

Thanks for any replies in advance!
-Alex

Old 07-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

first step is to get the VIN# and run it through a VIN decoder. That will tell you the car's basics like engine model, chassis set up etc.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to be a B5244S6 which is a 2.4 L5 non-turbo. So any words on performance? Reliability? Gas mileage? And such in my configuration? (V70 wagon)

Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The S6 variant is the ULEV version of the NA 5 cylinder. The car is not overly heavy but still only has 170 HP so you may find yourself driving in sport mode more often than say a turbo version. Gas mileage should be decent - low 20s in town, mid to upper 20s highway. Reliability is better than average. There are no major weak areas provided the car has been properly serviced. the earlier models had issues with the electronic throttle mechanism wearing out contacts (your car has very low miles so this isn't an issue), the VVT gears are driven by oil pressure so owners who ran synthetic oil fared better but again that was more problematic in earlier years. The transmissions are rock solid. In terms of service items, these cars are interference engines so the timing belt needs to be maintained at the factory 10 year/120K miles (whichever comes first) interval. You car should be on its second belt by now. The PCV systems do tend to clog over time but your car is a bit young for that but worth a simple test to confirm all is good. You'll be amazed at how much stuff you can get into the car - it will rival many mid sized SUVs. Add a factory roof rack and you're safe to surf or chase the peloton...

Old 07-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Your '06

Congrats. I have the same car except mine's an '07-the last year of that style (P2).
Odd differences: Mine came with rear parking assist, bumper mounted pop-up headlight sprayers and roof rails and a self dimming mirror.

The bad ETM mentioned above was replaced by a better style years before yours was built. Also, the DIM (instrument cluster) was improved. The chrome rings around the gauges is your assurance of quality.

I picked up my car some 220 miles away and drove home at 45 mph due to holiday traffic ( "'Twas the day after Christmas" 2016).
It had been filled. My single fill-up math showed >29 mpg. I routinely get 26 to 28 during heavier highway months.
I see 24 + or - around town.

You car still has an out-of-tank fuel filter. It's ahead of the LR wheel. I'd take this car and change the filter after running 2 tanks of gas with Techron Concentrate.
My '07 has a steel tank with an internal filter.
Also, my car has the fuel pump controller relocated into the spare wheel well. It was just rattling around; hanging by its wires. I glued its little feet to the side of the well with silicone rubber. Check for yours. If it's inside, do what I did. If it's still outside (atop the gas tank) decide if you want to protect it by wrapping or not. I hear they corrode outside and they ain't cheap.

You want to do at least one transmission drain & fill to see how black and nasty the fluid is. It takes a 24mm wrench, replacement 18mm crush washer and 4 quarts of the PROPER FLUID. You so want to do this.

You want to inspect the parking brake shoes for delamination. This requires removal of the calipers and brackets. Be ready to clean and relube the pins and inspect the boots. I found missing caps (they come with the boot pack) and one critter chewed boot.

You surely gotta replace the cabin air filter by now.

Is your coolant red or red/orange? If it's a unknown mix of coolants we purists recommend flushing to clear and installing Volvo coolant or G-05.

Best of luck with your new ride.

My '07 is my third V70 base. I love 'em.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; 07-19-2019 at 07:57 AM. Reason: forgotten things