Top engine mount help you can help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Top engine mount help you can help!!

Can all who have something constructive to say please join in and help me with this problem?VOLVO V70 2002 UPPER ENGINE MOUNT.

When should the mount be replaced? I throw in this question because I need help.
i replaced the upper mount some 6 months ago. I started to notice a clunk when starting off.
I looked under the car and found the transmission mount shot. I replaced the mount thats twenty minutes I will never get back!

So pulled away and things did feel quite different (TIGHTER). Then I noticed another clunk when pulling away, I checked the other three lower engine mounts and all looked fine.

So I went back to the upper engine mount. Knowing that it was only 6 months old I was sure it was not at fault. Looking at it I could see nothing obvious. I decided to remove the mount completely. With the aid of a power tool the upper mount was out.

As some people have replaced this mount once or twice before and understand how the mount works can I ask you this question.

With the mount in my hand and looking directly into the rubber centre mount I could see it was made up of an outer metal case a centre Rubber mount with a metal piece running through the centre. The Rubber has two very thick parts attached to the outer ring and the metal centre is fixed between these points. The metal centre also has another square piece of rubber built around it.

The metal centre is in-fact just supported by the two thick pieces of Rubber that run from side to side.

My problem is this... these thick pieces of rubber supporting the centre mount are in perfect condition. However there is also a thin membrane of rubber between the two larger thicker mounts. If I was to illuminate one side of the mount you can see the light from the other side.

Does this mount need to be REPLACED? Answers on a post card please. I think this mount is sound do you know better? I am not worried about taking it apart again its a very simple job to do and replace.

Just tell me what you think about this mount? Also what can this clunk be I have eliminated all the engine mounts.

Thanks in anticipation of a REPLY>

Pat

Old 05-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

PAT, the mount is good.

Have you checked the mount at the front of the motor behind the front passenger wheel?

If you can not find the source of the problem, take the car to a Volvo mechanic.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 AM

Not sure what you mean by clunk. Depending on mileage, the upper engine mount goes out, the transmission mount goes out. Then also the sub-frame bushings have a tendency to go out. This usually the problem seldom diagnosed.

If you are getting a grinding noise when turning and you replace those two mounts. Unless the front lower control arm bushing or ball joints have failed. It is likely the sub frame bushings. IPD has an nice insert kit. You can youtube it. I bought it for my car with the same Chasis. Plan on inserting them this weekend.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I have removed every mount within the car and only needed to replace the transmission body mount as it had defiantly FAILED.

The CLUNK I talk about is described like this. I pull away from my garage drive up a small hill into a turning bay, I then reverse some twenty yds. Then select drive and start to engage the reeves. as the drive engages and I start to move forward a distinctive clunk is heard.

This noise always fires off when pulling away from a dead stop. As said I had the car up and all the engine mounts REMOVED. As I removed the mounts from below I supported the engine off the sub frame.

With the mounts out I checked everyone of them and only found the one mount failure. this mount was replaced and the car put back together and as said it felt a lot tighter MINUS the clunk sound I was looking for. After driving the car for some weeks I then noticed the clunk has come back.

Just prior to asking for help last night I had again removed every mount and checked them all again. This is when I found the thin membrane on the upper engine mount had torn. I took a piece of that membrane and measured its thickness and concluded that it performed no support what so ever within the upper mount.

With every thing back together I pulled away only to have the same old clunk. The engine is just fantastic as is the gearbox.

I am at a loss and just do not know what else to look for. I can take this car well in to the hundreds speed testing and it has no faults, it performs like it should and would not know of any problems at speed.

I hope you can understand my frustration. The car is well looked after you could eat your dinner off the engine thats how well its looked after.

Pat

Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Default Passenger side lower engine mount USA Vs UK

Originally Posted by rspi
PAT, the mount is good.

Have you checked the mount at the front of the motor behind the front passenger wheel?

If you can not find the source of the problem, take the car to a Volvo mechanic.
Hi thanks for your reply, the comment you make re the front engine mount is
in-fact on the front drivers side the youtube video you sent is from the USA LEFT HAND SIDE DRIVE i am sure you do mean the mount on the UK right hand side drive cars.

I removed that mount first last night as it only takes minutes to remove.

To be honest it took longer to jack up the car and remove the wheel that it took to remove the engine mount. The mount you mention was dry ( Free from Oil ) and was not damaged in any way. It also worked well under compression. so back it went. Job done total time no more than thirty minutes.

Having said that I have just contacted a Garage and asked them how much they would charge to replace this mount.....To my horror they quoted Two hundred and sixty pound all in. I asked them for a job.... as I could make them thousands of pounds as it takes me only thirty minutes to change that mount.

Fast as a speeding bullett he said well do IT YOUR SELF !!!. Too much I say

Last edited by patdelamare; 05-15-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Pat,
what you're describing isn't an engine mount (IMO).

Is your car an automatic?
If so the problem is actually one of the solenoids on your transmission - the way you can diagnose this every time is exactly what you've described.

drive off (get up to speed), slow down to 1st gear speed - you should hear a clunk, speed up slightly, youshould hear a clunk again as it goes up a gear.

The problem is that one of the solenoids has a delay which means the computer thinks you're in gear but the delay means you're not - the clunk is your transmission picking up the slack that it doesn't think it has.

Hope this helps,
Paul.