v70 oxygen sensor - not sure about my O2S1 readings - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 PM

Default v70 oxygen sensor - not sure about my O2S1 readings

When I hook an OBDII reader to my Volvo V70 (2.4, B5244S engine), should I be seeing an O2B1S1 category of sensor reading? I've tried both an ELM327 wifi reader and handheld reader and both show NO readings present for that sensor, as far as I can see - except for one mA reading.

Here's a list of what I'm seeing:

LOAD_PCT(%)
SHRTFT1(%)
LONGFT1(%)
MAP
OS2LOC - B1S12-B2S
O2B1S2 (V)
SHRTFTB1S2(%)
O2S11(mA)

In all there are 22 sensors being read. I can provide the full list if it helps.

It just looks like somehow, I should be seeing some readings for 02B1S1 somewhere along the lines, except for the last one in the list which is mA. In short, I'm wondering whether my O2 Sensor 1 is reporting back to the ECU correctly? I recently changed both 02 sensors, a few weeks back.

Thank you sincerely for any clarification anyone can provide. Please forgive me if these are ignorant questions.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:03 PM

They're not ignorant questions. They are in a specific format which I haven't seen before. I'm sure others haven't either.

What prompted you to change your sensors? At what mileage? What brand did you install?

Weekly, bi-weekly or monthly HARD MILEAGE totals can help keep track of O2 sensor condition. Don't just push the button and expect to see accurate numbers.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Thank you very much for the reply.

What prompted me: I am getting DTC Code 058 and I foolishly put 'P0' in front of this and it makes P0058, which is an oxygen sensor code. I assumed the downstream one was having a high voltage on the heater circuit. That was a foolish and somewhat expensive mistake. I don't think I needed to do this at all. Still I've made worse mistakes in life and apart from feeling a tiny bit foolish and having a lighter wallet, it's not the end of the day for me I'm still trying to find out exactly what 058 means in the dash console.

Mileage is 229k, so I figured it wouldn't hurt anyway, except for the wallet.
I used Bosch for downstream (direct fit) and cheaped out and got a DENSO for the upstream. I kept the original sensors, so I can slot them back in. Most frustrating thing about that was the contradictions in lookups on various sites, one site tells you - it's a fit, other sites say - it's not a fit. I ended up and went to the manufacturers websites and got the details and verified on their sites. If you want the exact numbers, I would be pleased to retrieve them.

Good tip on the weekly, bi-weekly, monthly. I really do need to keep track of mileage to get a sense for whether something is wrong. Really should be doing this anyway.

Thanks very much.