V70R control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70R control arm question

The weather here in north central Florida has been great the last several days for working on my V70R. However, there are lots of other things I'd like to get accomplished. Thought that I was just about done then I see an issue.

I ordered Moog control arms from RockAuto, they rock. The car in question is an AWD V70R and the control arm part numbers from the catalog are RK640444 right side and RK640445 left side. The originals have turn stops, the Moog"s don't. The first visible clue that something may be wrong, that does not stop me from continuing the job. I'm thinking that maybe Moog knows something that I don't. Getting the old ones out was surely a major undertaking, the vertical bolts on both sides had adhered to the bushing and would not break free, at least I couldn't get them to. Eleven saws all blades later they came out. Getting the new ***** joints in was another undertaking, but they're in. Not to mention trying to separate the tie rod ends, only one saws all blade allowed me access to the inners. Getting those loose and off the car has been the easiest part of this.

I have the driver's side all put back together and then I notice that the passenger side control arm does not just not have a turn stop but is also a bit longer than the original. By longer, I mean that the distance from the mounting bushing to the ball joint cone socket is about an inch longer. So, thinking that I ordered the wrong parts I go back to the catalog to double check...the two part numbers are for my car. OK, catalogs have mistakes in them so I check other online parts houses and they all call for the same part numbers. Even the pictures are the same. Moog offers these for the R series FWD and they look more like the original in that they have turn stops.

I'm not sure what to do next. Do I return them saying that these are not the correct ones or do I continue hoping for the best.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

OEM ones don't come with turn stops either, you have to transfer them.

As for the difference in length, can you post a pic? That's the danger with aftermarket parts.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM

ES6T,
I realize that the turn stops are to be transferred to the new control arm. Maybe I should have said that the new control arms do not have the threaded holes for attaching turn stops. I would attach pictures if I only knew how to. And it's probably simple to do but I have not figured it out.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would return them and get ones with provisions for the turn stops.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 PM

ES6T,
That's what I have decided to do. The extra length is too great for the tie rods to work. I've been through many online parts houses even MOOG's and they all use the same wrong listing for this model. Heck, I can't even find one that's right for any P2 V70's with MOOG as the manufacturer. Now IPD has the right ones, but they are not MOOG. I can't be the only V70 driver that has ordered two of these for his V70. Rock is in conversation with MOOG to find out what's going on. Rock has given me credit for one, rejected my request for two because I installed one. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Add Tascaparts.com to your online parts book marks. Then you can order up OEMs...