Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Left Control Arm Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Control Arm Question

Our '99 S80 non turbo has a bad rear control arm bushing... I've already replaced the bushing on the RHS of the car, but I can't figure out how to raise engine enough to get the bolts out of the front control arm bushing on the left side. Any thoughts here? After spending the last 75 minutes reading the posts, there's bound to be a Tech out there who can help. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Left Control Arm Question

Usually you can get them to break loose with a wrench and loosen the bolts.
The arm will come away from the subframe as you loosen the screws.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:17 AM

OK, I apparently didn't express this clearly enough... The transmission is so close to the frame at the drivers side, that neither a socket nor a box end wrench can be inserted to loosen the bolts. What I was looking for is the info on lifting the engine/tranny some 1 to 2 inches to allow the socket to be inserted. After posting the first query, I removed the front engine mounting bolt - along with the engine torque link located between engine and tranny - and and lifted the engine with the floor jack to see if clearance would improve. Apparently there is some OTHER technique, OR I need to lift with lots of pressure (sounds scary, doesn't it?) to move the engine/tranny enough to get to the bolts. Hope this post clarifies things. Thanks again.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Administrator

I always use a Box offset wrench to get the screws loose.
There would be one more bolt you would need to loosen to jack the engine up.
You would have to remove the screw for the rear engine mount by the steering rack.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:33 PM

I replaced the right hand control arm at home before. I only used a regular wrench for it, no need to lift engine.

As for left hand side, I haven't done it, but I did look at it for future repair.

Tech is right, use anOFFSET box wrench (not a regular wrench, since it's offset, it willallow you to get to the bolt head without interfering from the subframe)and you should be able to get it out without lifting the engine. I actually realized this when I was at Sears and saw their offset wrench. It will work perfectly in this case.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks to Tech, I was able to get the job done, albeit with a little more hassle than the right side. The offset box is the ONLY way to get to the bolt heads, although it, too, is a snug fit. Once the new bushings were in, and the job completed, the entire car was WAAAAY quieter! Apparently, the rear control arm bushings get water damage, and/or garbage in them, and as the rubber deteriorates, they allow the control arm to either contact the frame, or clang against the inner portion of the control arm bushing. Whatever the actual case may be, new ball joints, new struts, new control arm bushings and new brake hoses are now in the car. We've got the peace of mind that our son won't have those items to worry about on his way back to school in August.

My sincere thanks to all who sent me information on this.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Congrats on getting it done!!!