BMW guy, with a Volvo tickle from Iceland...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW guy, with a Volvo tickle from Iceland...

Hi guys, i'm new here....

New to the Volvo scene so to speak, i am looking to buy a XC70, 2001 model year with a 2.4 Turbo engine...

How can i identify this engine and what all can be done with it..

I'm thinking it's packing a lot more punch, considering that the BMW M50B25 (2.5 liter NA) is pushing only a 4hp fewer than this 2.4 Turbo application....

I know how to work with BOSCH and Siemens ECUs, what ECU does this Volvo use ?

I've worked with BOSCH ME1.7 to 7.2 and Siemens MS42,MS43 and MS47 units...

So pretty much what i'm asking is...

How high EGTs can i see before i will be having trouble with pistons/rings/valves ?

How much boost will the motor hold up to with the stock injectors, stock turbo ?

Is there any turbo upgrade easily available that will drop drive-pressure so that i could run more boost without sacrificing head-gasket damage ?

I'm still looking at buying this Volvo i've been offered at a very good price, reasons being that some o-rings/gaskets in the oil pan failed causing catastrophic damage to the engine, car has 135.776km on it where it stands now at a friends garage and a replacement engine has been found with only 66.443km on it (i took a look at the instrument cluster and the parts dealer plugged up a reader to show me that all "computers" are in sync)

I will have the extra 2.4 engine for parts, should anything fail in the new engine, the catastrophic failure i described consists of main bearings and rod bearings being shut... the crankshaft is worn down and two rods are now oval shaped...

Top end of motor seems okay and the turbo on the older motor is NEW, so i will probably move that over to the replacement motor...

How much power can these transmissions take?

Am i correct to assume that the T5R has the same engine, just a different tune and probably another turbo ?

All answers are greatly appreciated