Low mileage 2003 XC70. First time Volvo owner, Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low mileage 2003 XC70. First time Volvo owner, Looking for advice.

This is my first post in the Volvo forum, greetings all!

I'm hoping to get some recommendations on work/repairs I should get done on an old XC70 that's barely broken in, having some issues aswell. I'm a long time SAAB owner - so I know my way around a few quirks, Hopefully this car is an easier experience.

I purchased yesterday a used 2003 XC70 2.5 Lpt, has 78,000 kms, approx (48,000mi) I could not resist!. I'd be lucky to find an 2010 with that mileage. As old as this car is, its in imaculate condition. Was garage kept by a lady who had trouble sentimentally letting go of the car. The leather seats look like they've never been sat in! Not so much as a blemish on the paint, Even the leather on the steering wheel doesn't have that shiny sheen from use. So I thought "why not?". All factory maintentce service intervals were kept up, they had a new steering rack put in last year, alternator, other minor things. I test drove it and was sold instantly, the ride was amazing! Was like getting in a brand new car... In 2003..

So.. The bad: First thing I did was look under the timing cover to see the belt. I'm pretty sure it's the original but I can't be sure. The Volvo logo and print is still clearly visible on the belt but I'm assuming that's because it's barely been driven in the past 16 years. It doesn't appear to have any stress marks/cracks either. I'm wondering if I should just replace it anyways because of the age or if I could get away with it for a year or two?

The biggest issue is a warning in the message centre. Reads: ABS/ANTI SKID SERVICE required. When I first start the car it doesn't show up until I start moving, then the rear wheel abs seems to kick in, it almost feels like a rear diff is locking up cause it's worse while turning. and then I get the warning triangle and the message then It drives prefect no problem.

From what I've gathered reading through the forums the past day. The culprit Is the steering angle sensor and possibly the abs module. Would I be correct in saying that? Or is their other areas I should look into? The gauge cluster is really wonky too, the time goes backwards constantly <insert back to the future joke> and the green turn signal arrows don't turn on until the car heats up. I found a place I can send the cluster DIM to get repaired but im wondering if that's maybe the only problem. Would the DIM be causing all the other issues too? With abs and anti skid?

like I said this is my first time touching a Volvo. Unfamiliar territory, the Volvo community where I live is Slim to none, only one stealership for our entire province. I Was a little hesitant posting a thread, as alot of what I mentioned has been discussed previously. But I'm more so concerned about how the car is hardly broken in and what that means maintence wise. It's sitting in my driveway now, really eager to get it on the road In good working order. Any tips would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Josh

Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Timing belt service is 10 years or 120K miles whichever comes first. usually its the idler/tensioner taking out the belt so replace the belt, idler and tensioner as soon as you can. Its a $600 job - but since this is an interference engine, a failed timing belt will take out all the exhaust valves (big bucks head rebuild)

ABS lights are usually one of three things - either its a wonky wheel sensor or a solder joint cracks in the ABS controller board or the steering angle sensor. Check out rocha-tek's web site for diagnostics. The computer will store fault codes when the light goes off which can tell you which wheel sensor was reported bad etc but you'd need a more advanced OBD2 reader to see the ABS codes.

You can google for services that will rebuild the ABS controller ($250 or so) as well was the DIM (similar price)

Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 AM

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing with regards to the belt. Better safe than sorry. Probably wouldn't hurt for me to do the water pump either.

I tried connecting a friends obd scanner to the car yesterday but it wouldn't even connect. This was a vw/audi specific scanner so that's probably why. Is their a specific scanner I can buy that will read the abs codes that isn't worth it's weight in gold?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

check out the iCarsoft or Bluedriver models. Should run under $100 depending on model and features.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:18 PM

Cool Ill check it out. Thanks.

I just got a buddy of mine at a shop to check the codes apparently the only fault is with a rear wheel speed sensor. I'm going get that fixed and see what happens. Maybe it's not the module after all