Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Timing Belt Tomorrow - More issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Tomorrow - More issues

Thanks to JPN & S70Driver for good advice. The car goes in tomorrow for the timing belt, $400-$450 is what they quoted me....fair deal?

So, I've had the car about a week and now.....
I had a catalytic trouble code come up. I also think I have the problem with the ABS/TCS lights coming on and the odometer showing ----- intermittently. I assume that can be fixed with the module replacement which I'll plan on doing myself. From what I've been reading, it sounds as if the failure rate on some of the electronics in these cars are pretty high...especially for a car with less than 70k. So far, I'm still loving the car though!

Drew

2000 S70 GLT SE

Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Timing Belt Tomorrow - More issues

Hello Drew,

I'm kind a new to the Volvo forums myself. I have been getting reaquainted with a relative's 99 S70 since the ABS/Traction and other related lights came on 30 days ago. They all went out after one day except for the "Check Engine." Having had problems with computer in another vehicle (non-volvo), I decided to do a little research before taking it to the out of town dealer. After a quick search on the internet, I learned about the ABS computer/modules on these cars and was confident that that was my problem. Even if it wasn't the problem, I still wanted to have it checked.

I ended up removing the module and sending it to ModuleMaster in Moscow, Idaho. They were very friendly on the phone and repaired the module very quickly. The charge was $110 and they offer a 5 year warranty on their repair. They have a lot of detailed information on their web site including instructions and tips. If you haven't started this project, you will need a Torx E-5 socket. I had a hard time finding one locally.One parts store was able get one next day for me.

After I replaced the module, I still had a check engine light on. So I took it to a local autoparts store and had them read the code. It indicated a "wheel speed sensor" (I don't recall the actual code.) I asked the guy there to turn the light out so I could see if it reappeared. He tried several times to turn it out but was unable to. I finally decided to buy the code reader myself as I had been contemplating buying one for use on another vehichle. After just ten minutes, I was able to extinguish the light and the panel has been clear ever since. All of the wheel sensor inputs go into the computer and I believe it was the fault. In short (pardon the pun)...it you can't trust the messenger (the ABS module), then you can't trust the message.

Isn't it ironic that the electronics are not as realiable the mechnical parts they monitor and control?

On this normally aspirated 99 S70, the manual calls for the timing belt and tensioner at 105,000. I have read online that the tensioner type was changed mid-prodution in on the 1998 models. I believe they were something like 70k mi items prior to the change. I'm not sure if the same is true on your GLT. However, after 8 years, I think you are smart to replace it regardless of the milage...it's avery cheap insurance policy.

Good luck with your car, ABS, and timing belt.

Scott