Nice little profit maker for Volvo dealers . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nice little profit maker for Volvo dealers . . .

Before I threw any money away, I found out that Ebay remotes are useless unless they come with the programming serial numbers.

Not having a remote for my car, I went to the [strike]dealer[/strike] stealer to order one. Well, not only do you have to pay nearly $100 for the remote but you have to pay for "software" to install it. WTF? New software for every remote?

Then I asked the service writer for the code for my remote and he refused to give it to me. Meaning that if something happens to the car, the remote is just a paperweight.

Nice rip-off, Volvo. Thanks.

While there, I asked about turning off the daytime running lights. Sure. That requires another $35 software download and an hour of labor.

I keep finding or reading about ways that the dealers can lighten my wallet because only they can do this or that. I've had the car less than a month and already I'm beginning to regret buying it.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, that's how it is. You could take the "the dealer is only doing this to rip us off" attitude. Or, you can realize that it is a security feature. If it was easy to bypass for anyone reading an online message board, that wouldn't provide much security would it? Volvo isn't the first or last manufacfurer to require programming for many parts.

Why is it so wrong for a business to make money? It seems everyone on the internet seems to believe dealers should be a charity and make no money at all. The actual margin of profit for the dealer overall would surprise you... it isn't much.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

A lot of new cars have "dealer specific programming" remotes and different stuff. New car electronics are a pain in the wallet. Not sure why they would NOT give you your car's security pin to program remotes, it is YOUR car that YOU paid for.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Or, you can realize that it is a security feature. If it was easy to bypass for anyone reading an online message board, that wouldn't provide much security would it?
Sorry, that dog don't hunt. If someone has access to my car to the extent that they can reprogram an old style remote, they've probably already taken the car and are stripping it for parts.

The actual margin of profit for the dealer overall would surprise you... it isn't much.
Mark-up on most parts is 100%.

I've never met a poor car dealer.

BTW, I feel the same way when I see my doctor for fifteen minutes and his bill is $150.

Last edited by Grey Bearded One; 10-16-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Not sure why they would NOT give you your car's security pin to program remotes, it is YOUR car that YOU paid for.
To make sure that the next guy who buys a V70 without a remote has to go to them to get one and can't buy my old one.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One
Mark-up on most parts is 100%.

I've never met a poor car dealer.
Volvo sets the list price, not the dealer. Some dealers do go above that on certain parts though.

And I'm not saying they are poor, but the investment is huge. Of course is varies from one to another, but the dealer I work at needs to make about $650,000 a month to break even. God forbid a business should actually profit.

People have been complaining about the key and remote programming for years. It isn't going away.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM

And I'm not saying they are poor, but the investment is huge. Of course is varies from one to another, but the dealer I work at needs to make about $650,000 a month to break even. God forbid a business should actually profit.
Businesses are a risk, that's the nature of the game.

My issue is with monopolies and price gouging by said monopolistic businesses not with businesses making a profit.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Indy shops can invest in the equipment and subscription to do remotes. But then that adds to their overhead. That's why they can offer lower prices. They don't have to pay our factory training and equipment and can substitute cheap, often lower quality parts and pay their parts swappers less than we make to install them. But that's a whole different debate.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:59 PM

They don't have to pay our factory training and equipment and can substitute cheap, often lower quality parts and pay their parts swappers less than we make to install them. But that's a whole different debate.
Making denigrating comments about mechanics who don't work at dealerships won't win you any points.

The shop that worked on my BMWs bought most of their parts from the local dealership and still charged me less than the dealership would for parts. As for the rest, a Bosch XYZ123 plug is a Bosch XYZ123 plug no matter where you get it.

BTW, after some hounding, the dealer acquiesced and gave up the codes for the remotes.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Administrator

I've never seen 2 dealers with the same prices on parts or service. They get what they can.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

I meant that as an extreme example. Not all indy mechanics are bad, just as not all dealer mechanics are good.

And some aftermarket parts are fine, others are not.

Good example- I had a customer with a leaking radiator. We quoted the radiator- the part was somewhere around $540. Customer went on about how its a ripoff, he can get a radiator for $120, etc. We explained that his sourced part was not the same, it was a cheap aftermarket version, but he didn't care. So he asked us to put that one in. I installed his cheap radiator and he signed saying there was no warranty on labor.

Guess who was back 4 months later with a leaking radiator, paying the labor to replace it again.

But again, this is a whole different debate. Programmable parts are commonplace among many manufacturers.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Wow, didn't know a dealer would install a non-OEM part. It's hard to get some an indi shop to install parts you get yourself.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Depends on the dealer. If it's out of warranty, our dealer will. But the 2 year, unlimited mileage, nationwide warranty is out the window. Whatever warranty the part has is all that applies, which does not include labor.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Wow, didn't know a dealer would install a non-OEM part. It's hard to get some an indi shop to install parts you get yourself.
I don't normally ask a shop to install parts that I supply because I know that impacts their revenue stream. There are two exceptions: the first is if I bought the parts intending to install them myself and then circumstances conspire to prevent it and the other is if I find a deal on something that my guy can't possibly come near like finding a complete sport shocks and springs package at a garage sale for $25.