P0026, P0027 and clatter at idle

Old 12-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0026, P0027 and clatter at idle

Yesterday driving around town (engine warm). The check engine light came on and when I stopped at a light there was a distinct diesel like clatter from the passenger side of the head. I checked the oil ant it was on the stick but low. I added 2 quarts to get me home. I had checked the oil a week ago and it was fine (never had an issue with consumption prior). When I got home, I pulled the codes and it's the intake AND exhaust cam sensors out of range. The clatter remains but only at idle, anything over idle it goes away and cannot be heard driving the car. It was my daily driver but it's a third vehicle so I will park it until I can get dig into it. No noticeable change in performance, although I didn't drive it much or beat on it after I heard the noise.

2005 XC70
135k mi
Timing belt, rollers, tensioner, waterpump changed at 100k (by me with OEM parts).

Always had a little clatter on warm starts but is gone by the time it idles down.
no oil consumption between changes until now.
I'm expecting it to be something in common to trigger codes for both intake and exhaust. I would think if it was going to skip a tooth on the timing belt it would have done it before 2 years and 35k miles but I've seen stranger things. The first thing I will check is timing because it's quick and would explain why both are seeing errors, but that wont explain the drastic and sudden oil loss. After that it's going to be the VVT hubs I would think. That would explain the noise and oil loss. Both at the same time though? I never had the oil light come on but have not verified with a mechanical gage. My home garage is under construction so it will be a few months before I get to it but wanted to get an idea of your opinions.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like VVT controls to me. Change 'em both.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Just wanted to close this out. I had a failed PCV hose from the valve cover to the box. I replaced the entire system including water cooled hose that runs back to the turbo inlet. I believe the clatter was due to loss of oil pressure at the VVT hubs after it pumped 2+ quarts out. I think the cam position codes were related too since it's oil controlled. It's a labor intensive job but it's running great at the moment. Codes are gone, noise is gone and it passes the "rubber glove on the oil fill" test. I also changed all 5 engine mounts and got rid of a thump that I was getting as well.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Default Can you provide so detail for me?

Originally Posted by cbova
Just wanted to close this out. I had a failed PCV hose from the valve cover to the box. I replaced the entire system including water cooled hose that runs back to the turbo inlet. I believe the clatter was due to loss of oil pressure at the VVT hubs after it pumped 2+ quarts out. I think the cam position codes were related too since it's oil controlled. It's a labor intensive job but it's running great at the moment. Codes are gone, noise is gone and it passes the "rubber glove on the oil fill" test. I also changed all 5 engine mounts and got rid of a thump that I was getting as well.
Hi cbova,
I was wondering if you could let me know if this long-term resolved, and to ask if you could clarify a couple things for me.
I am having a very similar issue, except for the oil consumption. I get warm clatter and the P0026 & 27 codes as described here: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...p?f=10&t=90587

Can you clarify what the job was that you did with a bit more detail? I would very much appreciate any additional details about how you fixed this.

Thank you so much!!