Stuck Transmission Installation

Old 11-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Transmission Installation

2005 XC70 transmission stopped working on my 2005 XC70. I have a 2006 XC70 transmission. I installed the 2006 XC70 transmission on the 2005 XC70. With the transmission bolted down, the engine/transmission will not rotate. With a breaker bar and 30mm socket on the crankshaft, can not rotate the engine/transmission. I backed the bolts of the transmission off making a gap between the engine and transmission of about 3/8". Using the breaker bar, I can rotate the engine/transmission, but it sounds like something is dragging.

So, with the transmission fully installed on the car, it seems like the flywheel/ring gear is getting pinched. The model numbers on the old and new transmission are the same. There was nothing dropped into the transmission, and that is further evidenced by the sound of continuous dragging, not rattling when the transmission is backed off 3/8" and the engine is rotated using the breaker bar.

Anyone had an experience that might explain what I am describing and does anyone have a thought on what could be done?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Assuming auto trans check to make sure that the torque converter is into the transmission all of the way. If it is not seated into the trans/oil pump things will bind.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I would agree. Normally that is the problem. The torque converter outer casing drives the oil pump in the transmission, and that is the last thing to engage properly.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:04 PM

So far, I am not following. To me, based on the description by both ssicarman and firebirdparts (thanks for responding, by the way!), it sounds to me like there is a gear driven oil pump in the transmission with teeth that engage...however, if there is a gear that is supposed to engage, I sure didn't see it. I must be misunderstanding and I probably don't know the proper names for the parts you're talking about. Sorry for my lack of understanding. I am calling the large ring with the gear where the starter engages the flywheel or ring gear. Is that what you're calling the torque converter? I'll have to pull some diagrams or internet pictures to investigate, but I wanted to get it posted here that I am not currently following your suggestion.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM

I don't really work on Volvo automatics, but most of the time, it is a t-slot drive. Not gear drive. Google a picture of a torque converter (any) and you will see that tee slot drive in the snout where it sticks into the transmission.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:38 AM

P.S. Being a tee slot drive is what makes it so hard to engage. It can only engage in 2 orientations of the TC shell.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Ok, I am a little more educated on this. So, it seems like I need to hit the right rotation of engine to transmission. I am not fully convinced this is the issue, but it is the one that makes sense. To me, it seemed like the outer ring gear was getting pinched.

So, has anyone seen any tips or tricks posted already that I must have missed or do you have a suggestion for how to "find" the right orientation?

Thank you all for responding. You have already been very helpful.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:55 PM

Still working on this transmission. Currently, I am assuming that firebirdparts and ssicarman are correct and the t-slot (tee-slot) is not being engaged because the engine rotation isn't correct.

There are splines on the shaft sticking out of the transmission which engage into the engine. At the bottom of the spline shaft on the transmission is the square protrusions where the t-slot is supposed to engage. Does anyone know if the splines on the shaft are physically connected to the t-slot at the bottom? If that is the case, then it means that I have to pull the transmission completely off, orient the engine rotation to match the position of the t-slot, then "hope" that when the transmission is put on, the t-slot will engage, even though I first had to engage the spline shaft. (seems like, given the number of splines, it would be easy to get off a spline and still not get proper engagement).

If the splines on the shaft are NOT physically connected to the t-slot at the bottom, then it means I don't have to pull the transmission off again. I am hesitant to pull the transmission off again since my system for installing it is very difficult to get it back on the engine again.

What little I have read on instructions, there wasn't any mention of the difficulty there might be getting t-slot engagement.

So, still looking for tricks or instructions that could ensure engagement.

t-slot is shown in the torque converter picture below:

Last edited by godfearer960; 11-25-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added picture of torque converter
Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 AM

From VIDA DICE: 43: Transmission, automatic, B5254T2, AW50/51 AWD
This picture shows how the torque converter is connected to the flywheel with 6 TX50 Torx screws.

Prior to removing the transmission (again), when the engine was rotated by hand, the engine would not rotate when the transmission mounting bolts were snug or even near snug. However, once the transmission mounting bolts would be backed off about 3/8", the engine could be rotated by hand, but there was some rubbing sound occurring.

Now, with the transmission off again, this time with the torque converter off as well, it is clear that the fly-wheel speed sensor bracket was rubbing the speed sensor ring. This bracket was a new part OEM from volvo 30637802 and given the locating pin on it, it is hard to imagine how this bracket could be off, but it was definitely rubbing the speed sensor ring. I haven't decided if the speed sensor itself was rubbing.

With the transmission off, the torque converter was removed with the (6) T50 torx screws. The T-slot was measured and found to be a depth of about .043".

Exactly why the engine was getting bound up and not able to rotate when the transmission bolts were snug is not yet clear. As theorized by others above, it could have been the T-slot not seated in the matching notches on the transmission. It also is possible this speed sensor bracket was the issue, since it was definitely rubbing, even when the transmission was completely off.

Last edited by godfearer960; 12-11-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 12-20-2018, 04:10 PM

For some reason, the crank position sensor is making contact with the flywheel. The only thing that changed is that I put a new bracket on, as shown in the diagram, item 12. I had purchased off Amazon a 30637802. Amazon showed it as the correct part. However, after starting the car, and hearing the rubbing, I took a second look only to find that the actual correct bracket part number was 30637803. So, does that account for the difference between contact and not contact?

I have now acquired the 30637803 in order to compare, and in fact, there are differences which would account for the issue. Both offer a 1.18" depth from the sensor seat to the metal tube at the sensor end, however, the 30637803 has a sensor seating area that is .17" above the center of the bracket mounting holes versus the 30637802 which is .010" above the mounting hole. So, I guess this is the difference.