All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

142E Titling Issues.. Help?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New London, WI
Posts: 10
Default 142E Titling Issues.. Help?

Recently bought a 1972 142E at auction, and I'm having an issue titling it.
It would seem that in 2014 in Wyoming the car was listed as crushed, and the title was branded as such. I just bought that car in Wisconsin, and it is very much not crushed. I do not have a title. Wyoming won't reverse the brand on the title, and unless Wyoming does that, Wisconsin will not title it.

Now, is there a way around that? Has anyone experienced something similar?
Does anyone have spare paperwork or vin plates, I could potentially adjust the vin on the car and get it inspected by the DoT here, in order to title it. I would like to be able register and drive the car once I get it running. Otherwise I'm not sure what choice I would have but to part out or re-sell

Any advice?
one bummed 142 owner.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 4,467

Did you try snapping photos of the VIN plate and the build plate / stickers under the hood to prove the car is alive and well? Have you asked Wisconsin if they offer "salvage" titles? worst case is you can try to have a familiy member register in a more friendly state... actually worse case would be to get temp tags, drive to Wyoming... :-) About the only other thing to consider is buying a 142 parts car that's titled.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New London, WI
Posts: 10

Unfortunately unless that "brand" is removed off the Wyoming title that is in the possession of the state, WI can't do anything; I've offered to let them come and inspect it, but they told me it was technically illegal to have it at all and they aren't sure how it got out of Wyoming. They've been very nice, and helpful.

I was actually able to track the title to the salvage yard that reported it as crushed when it wasn't, and got ahold of them. Long story short, the guy that owns the salvage yard in WY is the same man that hired the auction company that I bought from to come sell stuff off his land here in WI. I got called by the auction company, telling me to stop and that no one would help me and that I need to cease and desist immediately. It seems that there is some type of fraud that occurred between the scrapyard and the man's personal property here, as it's all interconnected. They are very angry that I've been trying to get the car titled.

I may go after that route, and see if some exposure to the issue may change their mind. I offered to pay the salvage yard in WY for their time, all they need to do is write a letter of error to the DMV and it's a "no harm no foul" situation, all would be well. But they have made it very clear that family is unwilling and is not to be bothered. Something's fishy.

I'd love to buy another parts car, but I can't find one! Ha.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1

Vermont will issue a "registration" for an old vehicle with a bill of sale. You don't have to be a resident of Vermont to do this, and that registration presented at Wisconsin DOT will get you a title.
I have not personally done this, but have a friend who is in the process of titling 2 motorcycles this way, and told me it also works on old cars. He said that according to one forum he is on, that one guy did this 5 times!
Is it true? I trust my friend...but I'll post again when/if he gets results.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 5

Roadlessgraveled is right, Vermont will do it. You have to look up how to do it. You might also want to go the mechanics lien route. For that info go to a local wrecker service for help. Someone will help you.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Birmingham AL
Posts: 1,502

If I had to deal with this, I would take a slightly different course. The fact that the car is not crushed and you have verified that the VIN has not been tampered with says that Wyoming's records are incorrect. The burden shifts to the state to prove that it is crushed. Just because it was reported as such does not make it a fact. The only fact that they can claim is that it was reported as crushed.

I would file a small claims complaint naming the head of the BMV in Wyoming as a defendant and sue for the current value/cost of the vehicle. The case will get scheduled for trial and somewhere along the line, the State of Wyoming will have to deal with it. If they don't respond, you can ask the small claims judge to order that a title be issued in lieu of damages.

Worth a try.
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
General Volvo Chat
05-03-2017 03:15 PM
New Members Area
04-02-2017 12:46 PM
Mark Richardson
For Sale / Trade
05-16-2016 09:00 AM
Taxi Rob
All Other Volvo's
12-27-2008 05:34 AM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 142E Titling Issues.. Help?

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.