VIN # check + salvage title ?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VIN # check + salvage title ?

Hi Volvolovers,
I found a VOLVO for sale but its VIN does NOT show up in the USA database.
I know for sure that the car has been used and registered in California for many years....so how come the VIN does not exist now in the internet VIN searches?
Oh btw how/where to figure out whether it has a salvage title or not?
What issues come up when transfering salvage title from CA to FL?
Any special experience?
I am not sure it has been wrecked but would LOVE to know before the purchase, of course. Help me to find the way to check the car's VIN----I want to know the history of this beast. Thanks for reading.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Is it a 'grey market', a private import? Does it have records with previous owners' info? You can call them and ask them.

Titles can be 'washed' many different ways... But so what if it salvage? If it's nice, it doesn't really matter.

Cars get salvaged for nothing these days: an old Volvo worth $1,500 book value can get salvaged over a tail light

Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Surely you are referring to the same blue number which is now back on Ebay (by a different seller, a dealer this time) who is listing none of the flaws the previous owner talked about. The car looks clean and is well presented, I'll give you that, but I am uncomfortable by the lack of VIN history. I'd look for maintenance records to prove the mileage...

And I still don't think the ancient VW Diesel is anything anyone should pay thousand to own, but that's another story...

Old 11-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 740 turbodiesel

Hi,
that second car was not the same car at all. The previous one had tinted glass all around and much nicer shiny paint with a different tone of blue. I saw it in person, testdrove it and its interior was way more cleaner than the second car's interior.
I know it for sure that it was not the same car. I also got vin photos of each. The second blue wagon that was listed on ebay a few days ago, had no tint on glass and no issues with all the brakes and springs and shocks. BUT! It had another issue: salvaged title from Ca and the vin number listed in a salvage database that mentioned a right side unknown damage whick was never visible on any photos or in person. I never saw the car in perosn but had all 150 photos and checked all details about the vin thaT was unknown for all vin check systems but it was a valid, true vin but somehow did not show up in the usa system. The swedish website gave me all data, colorcodes and engine type, year etc so it was amatch.

Both cars had exactly the same color paint and same interior options. The first one was much better in condition and I think the 83000 was correct but the owner never spent any money on the engine for 3 years. That car would be a dangerous buy, lack of fluid changes and so on... some leaks as well. The second car, the staten island NY ebay 740 had more paintwear and much more interior wear and the californian auction website listed it with NO ACTUAL mileage sticker, for dealers to buy, with salvage title and r side damage. I was not sure how the title would transfer ...so was not brave enough to bid. Did it right I guess.

oh and both of them were extremely overpriced!!!! First was 5000, other was 5900 or best offer. way too much even for aa classic dieselvolvo. especially in that ****ty condition. great body though, oth cars.... inside and under the hood was a different story

Now, both of them sold for 4500, exactly the same price. First one ended up in Stamford CT, the other one I do not know yet.
Keep me posted if anoter one shows up in good condition. I love those stinky noisy beasts and had them before but all with manual tranny m46 so the automatic was not my favourite about these ebay cars.
Well, they are gone now so no more worries... I hope one day my m46 diesel shows up, either aa 240 or a 740-760.