All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

1966-1969 Volvo 1800

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966-1969 Volvo 1800

I am looking for a 1966-1969 Volvo P1800, I am new to this "breed" of car, but I love the looks, the 4 speed manual transmission, and the inline 4 cylinder engine. I would like to get one in very good, drivable condition, to make it my every day driving car, and also to bring it up into show car condition where I can take it to slalom races and be comparable with the older MGs. Getting work done on it will not be a problem, I have the tools and skills needed to do it myself. In your opinion, what do you think a good price would be for a car in very good condition that still has a bit of room to improve, but will not cost me a fortune. I am willing to pay up to about $10,000 for the car. Also, does anyone have an idea what the average insurance costs will be for one? After all, it is a "two and a half seat" sports car.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 1800e

Hi!

I strongly recommend the 1800e, having driven both earlier and later cars.

EFI (fuel induction), four disc brakes, engine, valve and overdrive improvements make the car an excellent freeway warrior! (Yes this means it can keep up with modern cars without incident.

SU carbs are wonderful but they need at least some attention- and run a little rough in hot weather and can be testy in cold weather (yes- even with the throttle shafts rebushed). There are a lot of other little issues I've forgotten about. The early 1800s are nice but well... I could never go back.

The earlier cars make excellent garage queens and weekend cars... if that's what you want.

For me the best reason to have an 1800 is to have a 1950s design that is robust enough in design to drive to work every single day! That's why I like 'em.

MGs are a whole lot more fun to race BTW (I have two). Volvo 1800s are heavy cars... 'twas an early unibody design and as I said- basically a 50s car. An 1800 feels like a cadillac compared to an MG. Much easier on the back and neck, etc.

Insurance for street driving is inexpensive with these cars. Probably because they are leisure-sport cars with pushrod motors. They're good, not fast.

There is a guy who builds up fast B20 motors with modern fuel injection. You could look him up if you become obsessed.

--Jibbits

Originally Posted by rdriggers
I am looking for a 1966-1969 Volvo P1800, I am new to this "breed" of car, but I love the looks, the 4 speed manual transmission, and the inline 4 cylinder engine. I would like to get one in very good, drivable condition, to make it my every day driving car, and also to bring it up into show car condition where I can take it to slalom races and be comparable with the older MGs. Getting work done on it will not be a problem, I have the tools and skills needed to do it myself. In your opinion, what do you think a good price would be for a car in very good condition that still has a bit of room to improve, but will not cost me a fortune. I am willing to pay up to about $10,000 for the car. Also, does anyone have an idea what the average insurance costs will be for one? After all, it is a "two and a half seat" sports car.