All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

Gunky oil in crankcase!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gunky oil in crankcase!

I have a 2004 xc90 t5. Bought used, was sitting in garage for a year. I never buy this way. But the price and thier regular service records where too good to pass. The suv has no acceleration.The engine crankcase oil is junked up. or congealled enough to effect performance and gas mileage. It just passed inspection! I have gotten a machine cycling oil flush by dealer. It did not work. Other mechanics suggested I use SEAFOAM. I did put a small amount in crankcase and fuel line. I saw on YOUTUBE a video by SeaFoam company showing how to pour it in the brake vaccum line and engine block. there will be alot of smoke for 15- 20 minutes. then you get the oil changed again after 100 miles. My question is? Does this work? I do not want to have them pull the engine apart to clean. That is too expensive. What suggestion do you have?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You gotta do what you gotta do. It really depends what's wrong with the car. Is the turbo shot? Does it have a cel? Does it have good compression? Have you changed the oil and filter? Something is causing it to NOT have power, have you had codes read?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gunky Oil

I have changed the oil twice. The codes have been read twice. No codes were found. Please do not scare me with the turbo gone out problem. I am still in the 1000 mile process of letting the seafoam do its job. Then I will get a pressurized engine flush. Thank you for the tip on getting the compression tested and the turbo checked out. I will do that after the 1000 mile oil change. My questions is; do volvo enthusiast use Seafoam in the full bottle manner I have seen by the Marine industry and now online by auto owners? That is one third in the brake line vaccum and crankcase. Then it blows a ton of carbon smoke out of the tail pipe and other material form engine. Does this harm your car?

Thank you for your knowledge.

Jeff Schulman

Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't use it but have thought about it a few times. Yes many Volvo owners do use it. It's a good soft flush/cleaning system. I believe it will finish off a weak system but if the system is strong you'll be ok.

The turbo being out is not a death threat. I'd rather have a bad turbo than a bad head any day. If you don't have any codes you have a fuel pressure or turbo problem. No boost. The thing about the turbo boost system is that you will usually get a code if you had a bad vacuum line leak. Maybe you can make sure your intake tubes are in good shape.