All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

Intermittent Problem with Master Relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Problem with Master Relay

1996 Volvo 960. It has 90K miles. Recently I have been experiencing an intermitten problem when I turn on the engine, it starts all right. However the following stop functioning.
- The Gear shift won't move. I have to press the release button to allow it to shift into gear.
- Windows won't work (close or open)
- Turn Signals, and headlights won't turn on.

If I turn off, then On the engine, it goes back functioning fine.
I am sure some "Master Relay" if one exists, is acting up. However, before taking it to a dignostics, i was wondering anybody else had experienced a similar problem.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2004, 06:14 PM

off hand i am not sure about the master relay, but i have a clue as to why your gear wont shift. the shift lock is electronically operated solenoid that blocks the movement of the shifter. when there is an elctrical failure, there is a manual override that allows the hift lock to be disabled. when u start your car, the shift lock relay is actuated and depressing the brake pedal closes a switch which in turn energizes the solenoid, retracts the shift lock plunger and allows the shifter to be moved. there is a possibility that there is something wrong with this electrical system that prevents it from automatically disengaging the shift lock. check the relay and maybe ur brake pedal as these could be problem areas.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. But how do you explain the Headlights, the power windows, and turn signals not working as well?.