Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

HU-650 radio code/Does it have one?/ "TP" in Display?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HU-650 radio code/Does it have one?/ "TP" in Display?

Hello all,
This being my first post I hope I am doing it correctly. My question is two part. We have a 2006 V70 T2.5 with a HU650 radio. First does it have a security code? (do all of the HU series have one) and secondly what does the "TP" in the display mean? It is accessed thru the "menu" (do I have that right?) or is it called source button. By pushing it the menu's open up What ever that **** is called it is found there. I just can't think of the navigation path to get to the "TP" on-off option. The "TP" sometimes shows a "radar" like symbol just after it in the display. (((( Like this but from small to big lines. "TP" is smaller than the other text. It only works on the CD and FM settings I believe. I can't find anything in the manual about this setting or on the internet. The HU-650 has a VERY limited menu. The "mid" control is useful I guess. I am looking forward to a answer with a feeling of pending embarrassment as I am sure it is very obvious what it is. All I come up with is "tape" but of course no tape player.

Thanks for any time somebody hopefully has to answer my questions. It's late at night and I can't easily get to the car right now, OK I'm lazy.

I really want to put in a sub and I think I found the wiring harness for it on the drivers side, in the back to the left of the fuse panel when looking at the fuse panel. I had to take apart the inside of the car from the rear hatch to the back-seat on drivers side. It is very nicely put together car interior. I was VERY impressed. However taking out the storage bin to the left of the HU-650 was a real pain in the butt. I ended up breaking two of the clips that hold it in place. They aren't really necessary (I hope)

Sorry for getting away from my two questions. I rambled because it is my first post ...

DTz

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer to your first question is no. Starting with the 2001 models (I think) Volvo did away with the need to enter security codes.

The short answer is: When active, TP allows the radio to override whatever you were listening to in order to allow radio stations to broadcast emergency information. It is part of the RDS or RBDS, that allows the radio stations to broadcast extra information such as call letters, program type (talk radio, pop, etc) as well as other things. It would only function if you are in an area using RDS and only in emergencies, I believe.

BTW, I did find TP info in the owners manual. It is available online. Here is a link for the '06 V70

Last edited by 01_fast_ride; 04-27-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you very much

I was hoping the codes were a thing of the past.
I am off to the manual to check it out re: TP. I looked so closely but ....
Thanks again
DTz