Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Question prior to beginning Nav Install Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question prior to beginning Nav Install Project

I am torn between the AVIC-D2 and the AVN5500. I know the 5500 has more features, but I think the D2 looks better in the S80. I am kicking around the idea of the AVN6600 but its more money for a feature I will probably never use...

Before I begin though, I cannot find an answer to a fairly simple question...

How can I retain my factory steering wheel controls (volume and track) with the aftermarket unit? All the PAC products I have found do not seem to work with Volvo. An answer to this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have the D2 or the 5500 let me know what you think.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question prior to beginning Nav Install Project

I'm a pioneer man but I really do respect the Eclipse...with that in mind...here i go.

The thing that pokes out to me is the RMS rating for power output. the Eclipse has a 15 Watt RMS...which is fine if you're using Eclipse speakers. The Pioneer on the other hand has an RMS of 22 watts...which is better for any speaker brand. They both appear to be a max output of 50 watts, but max output doesn't really mean anything. The pioneer has 11 million points of interest where as the Eclipse only has 6 million. However, the Eclipse appears to have a 3D display...I don't know if the Pioneer has that or not. The Pioneer will be compatable with Pioneer's I-Pod control adapter so you'll be able to work your I-pod (if you have one) directly from the deck...or with their IP-BUS aux. adapter you can plug in anything with a headphone jack. the Eclipse probably has something similar but not as sophisticated as an I-Pod ready mechanism. The Pioneer does both SERIUS and XM radio but the Eclipse only does SERIUS. The advantage? With XM you'll be eligable for their NavTraffic premium service. SERIUS doesn't have that.

They both have separate CD and DVD slots, 6.5" displays, double DIN size (4" high...hope that works into you equation), mp3 wma CD-R CD-RW DVD DVD-R and DVD-RW playback and three sets of preamp outputs (front, rear and sub woofer). The Eclipse pushes 5 volts throught their preamp outputs and Pioneer probably does 6 but you wouldn't notice a difference in performance from that. Oh, they also both support rear view cameras too. I can't think of anything else that would matter to me but from the looks of it I'd go with the pioneer.

From my experience, the only way to utilize your stearing wheel functions is to hardwire them into your deck...which is a pain in the *** and voids all warrenties. The good news is they both come with remotes...that's not so bad. In rare cases....and I've only seen this on some older Sony modles...there's an extra wireing harness out the back of the head unit that requires some kind of addapter to plug into the nav control plug. I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't offer thet anymore. They're loosing respect in the electronics world. the only thing keeping Sony alive right now is the PlayStation 2 (evidently the PS3 isn't doing so hot).

Anyway, hope this helps.