Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Stereo install V70XC 1998

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo install V70XC 1998

So im about to install two amps and a new deck with subs, i have a kenwood KDC7009 deck for the single din, i already ordered the single din with compartment below, my plan is to mount both my sony and mtx amps under driver and passanger seat, i plan to run power from the battery threw a fused link to the first amp and leapfrog to the next amp with 8 gauge wire, leapfroggin rca for input from the stereo, wires off one amp to subs (bridged), but now im curious if i should be running the other amp at all, the deck puts off 25watts x4, so the question i have is the front dash and rear pillar speakers, are the linked threw the door speakers, seems like looking at the plug and wires on the back of the stock stereo there inst enough wires there to have been wired to each, are the dash and rear pillar speakers some how patched on the same wires? are those lil speakers capped so that they dont get bass signal? i dont want to blow them up, so i figured i woudl use the deck power to run the 6" x4 dorrs speakers and the mtx to run the subs, and only need one amp!

opinions needed!

thanks in advance!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stereo install V70XC 1998

If it's the same as the 850 wagon.
Head unit feeds;
dash speakers
front door speakers.
rear door speakers. The rear tailgate speakers are wired in parrallel to the rear door speakers.

So, the headunit has three sets of stereo outputs, dash, front door, rear door.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM

whoa whoa whoa.....slow down there. Sounds like you're about to install a big mess from the way your post reads.....I got questions

what are the amps for? Are you planning on wiring two amps together in series and then bridge to the subs? How many subs? What kind? What are the specs for these subs? What kind of specs are these amps? Running amps in series isn't usually a good idea. First off...you can't piggy back the power like that. You need to figure out what gauge wire is required for these amps, get a fuse block...not a fused link, and then run twice the biggest gauge wire for the amps from the block to the battery. i.e. If your amps both require 8 gauge then you better have a 4 gauge running from the fuse block to the battery. Where are you going to ground these amps? You need less than 10" of ground and it has to be equal to if not bigger than the power....and you cannot ground them in the same place....at least you shouldn't anyway.

I don't think the speakers in your car are as simple as just running parallel to each other. Typically, if you have pillar speakers on the same channel as door speakers then there's probably a crossover amp somewhere you're not seeing. Same for the rear speakers. If it's as simple as running parallel the great. But be advised, you may have some resistance issues. Typical OEM car speakers are anywhere from 4-6 ohms....after market decks are usually pushing around 2-4 ohms. You won't blow them out but you might have noticeable distortion at high volumes...

Old 12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
W35

As cbevis said, what you can do depends on what type and power your amps are. If they are A/B class, they can run either speakers or subs. If they are a D-class amp, they are only good for powering subs. You SHOULDN't use two amps with your subs. And as already said, you should be running some better wiring. Depending on how you wire your subs (Series, Parallel) you may be able to get some better punch for your power.

Post the models of the amps and we should be able to give some more advice