Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

Good place to buy Volvo parts north of the 49th

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good place to buy Volvo parts north of the 49th

Hello to all.
New to this site and thus far am learning quite a bit.
I was fortunate enough to find a "stray" '99 V70 T5 5sp (it was imported from Arizona) car up near the cottage - It needed a new home, so I broke down and took it home. I am not new to Volvo's - my entire family drives one - my sister has a '98 s70 T5, my father used to drive a turbo 740 wagon, and my mother drives a drives a '91 740SE....

I am in the process of getting organized to replace the T-belt, water pump, and the front cam, and crank seals as the motor leaks a lot of oil after being driven. I also intend to do a pcv cleaning too. I have never thrown tools at a volvo, but would argue that I'm a decent "backyard" mechanic.
There are numerous threads dealing with t-belt replacement using 850's, and I have noticed a few differences already between the '99 and earlier cars...namely the coil packs for the plugs, and the mechanical t-belt tensioner. I hope to pick your brains for advice to get me through this without ruining anything...any tips to start with? I am nervous with the whole cam sprocket, crank sprocket alignment procedure as I'd hate to bend valves...Open to all suggestions.
Also to the main point of my first post...are there any part houses in Ontario, or Canada besides the dealers where I can get quality parts for our cars? I live a good 45min north of the GTA/Toronto. I've looked through IPD's and Groton's web sites, and boy are they ever thorough, but even though our dollar is quite strong, shipping and brokerage fees are usually the "nail in the coffin" when it comes time to order anything state side. NAPA carries a lot of stuff, but I have always been weary of using their products. CanTire isn't an option either. Anyone up here sell good quality parts, is knowlegeable with volvo's and competative with the dealers? I've read lots about Hamilton's Corner Garage in Guelph, but from what I understand they deal primarily in used parts...
Thanks in adavance for all you help,
-Andrew