Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the forums here.

Probably Won't Be Seeing Much of Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Probably Won't Be Seeing Much of Me

There is something new that is being intercepted where I work and it will not let me access this site any longer. Comes up with some message saying there is a link from this site to a site that is potentially dangerous so it stop this site from opening. It's slow as can be from home becuase of dialup and now I can't access from work. I could yesterday, but not today. I will try again on Tuesday, but it does not look too promising.

I noticed when I tried to logon when the site was done there was quite a few msn.com messages being flashed on the screen and it was having trouble accessing them.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Probably Won't Be Seeing Much of Me

That is too bad, this forum without you is much like life without a single malt.

I can only hope that either the IT tech at your workplace fixes it or you make the ultimate decision of switching to DSL, cable, etc...

.....best wishes on finding a solution.

JPN

Old 05-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

I can not get cable, DSL or even broadband for some reason where I live. I have tried now for seven years.

Having them do something at work would only bring attention to me doing something I really should not be doing anyway. I usually surf the net or get on message boards during down time or at lunch, but it still would be a bad idea to say I need access to a Volvo message board. I can get to volvospeed and many other message boards just fine. I don't know what they put on this one that stopped me from getting access, but they did something that's for sure.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:55 AM
reg

Use a mobile broadband card. They are offered by all the cell carriers. I use Sprint and obtain coverage throughout the U.S.. My wife uses a broadband card for home use. If there is cell coverage in your residence then you will be able to communicate quickly. ATT and Verizon are pushing the mobile cards and so I would think that between those three carriers you can obtain fast service.

r.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, I'm at work and can get access today, but don't tell anybody.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

OK.

JPN

Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably bypass your employer´s proxy by installing this:

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

That will create a tunnel through the proxy and use Google´s servers to send you the pages.

I use it to bypass a stupid transparent proxy that my ISP has installed. They can´t get it to work correctly. Sometimes I can't surf the internet, so I activate the Webaccelerator and I bypass my ISP.

You might need admin privileges on your workstation though to be able to install it. You can use this to hack an XP box and become admin: http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ It has saved me a huge amount of time. You need to be able to boot off a CD or USB stick.

Regarding dialing up from home, Adblock and Firefox should be able to make it run much much faster than normal Internet Explorer. Luckily I do not have that problem since I have 3 mbps cablemodem at home and 10 megs at the office.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I have switched to firefix at home and yes it is faster, but not fast that's for sure.

I just checked into the Broadband card from Sprint. $59 a month, puls $26.00 activation fee and somewhere between $25 and $130 for the card. Not too bad and I would save the $23 per month I am paying for Earthlink service.

When I checked on this before I was told I could not get service and when I called the first phone number the recording said that Sprint Broadband was not accepting any new customers at this time. But I called another number and they said no problem. Weird.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
reg

Go to a Sprint store..........not a kiosk and check again. You should be able to get the service for $59.00 p/mo but the card should be a freebie and no start-up fee. That was my deal and a year later that was my bride's deal. Incidentally, you do not have to sign up for their cell phone service.................some carriers mandate that. Indeed, Sprint used to but then they waived that requirement. The beauty of the mobile broadband card is that not only can you use it in your desk top but when you take your notebook with you you simply plug it in it and go! Another source is Hugesnet. They use a south pointing dish that you mount on the residence. Lastly, I believe I pay $62.00 for the Sprint service with all the incidentals to include tax. I took them to task when they in the beginning charged me for 911 service and one other item. I patiently explained to them that a computer does not dial out for 911 and that they were opening themselves up to a bit of litigation and a whole lot of refunding to a whole lot of customers.

r.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hughesnet absolutely sucks. Don't get that. You can't even download an XP service pack without hitting your daily download limit. I guess it beats dialup, but any other kind of broadband is better that Hughesnet. Oh, forget about using the internet when it is raining.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can access other Volvo sites then the problem is with this site, which has been erractic for a few days. Just hang in there and everything should be back to normal soon.