General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

08 Volvo XC90 3.2L - Transmission Fluid Temp Warning

Old 03-14-2019, 11:52 AM
Exclamation 08 Volvo XC90 3.2L - Transmission Fluid Temp Warning

New to this forum - would greatly appreciate all thoughts and ideas regarding my Transmission Fluid Temp Warning (running hot)

Background: Had the transmission fluid serviced at local transmission shop (they removed pan & said they replaced 9 quarts of fluid and they also added some mystery treatment) and post transmission service we took a trip to neighboring city and with cruise set at 74 we traveled maybe 25 miles and the transmission temp warning (fluid hot) popped up on display panel. Keep in mind this was never an issue prior to service (only have 104,000 miles) bought the XC90 with 78K on it.

Action(s) taken to date: Returned back to transmission shop (they diagnosed that I had a transmission fluid temp sensor bad & cannot find a replacement); Having researched several forums on "how to" service transmission - undertook flushing the transmission fluid (was successful used 13 qts of 3309 Valvoline full Syn.) took on a test trip and same issue "Transmission Fluid Temp warning. Pulled off the interstate and at the off ramp, popped the engine hood & the radiator fan was on high speed & took several minutes to come down to medium. So, returned home - ordered thermostat (replaced) & another trip on the interstate resulted in Transmission Fluid Temp warning, Fan on High Speed, etc...

So, things that are of concern (in addition to the Transmission Temp Warning -- the under hood temp seems warm (engine temp gauge normal) could this be an issue of catalytic convertors causing engine heat build up? Could this be the radiator that needs to be replaced? (engine coolant clean, and replacement of thermostat - their was some corrosion)

Last note: The transmission fluid is definitely running hot based on the amount of fluid running out the transmission vent tube - that's why I haven't researched or replaced the transmission fluid temp sensor. Again, this all started with a fluid change at the local transmission shop.

Last edited by WDenning; 03-14-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 04-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Default Follow up; 08 Volvo XC90 Trans Temp Warning

Originally Posted by WDenning View Post
New to this forum - would greatly appreciate all thoughts and ideas regarding my Transmission Fluid Temp Warning (running hot)

Background: Had the transmission fluid serviced at local transmission shop (they removed pan & said they replaced 9 quarts of fluid and they also added some mystery treatment) and post transmission service we took a trip to neighboring city and with cruise set at 74 we traveled maybe 25 miles and the transmission temp warning (fluid hot) popped up on display panel. Keep in mind this was never an issue prior to service (only have 104,000 miles) bought the XC90 with 78K on it.

Action(s) taken to date: Returned back to transmission shop (they diagnosed that I had a transmission fluid temp sensor bad & cannot find a replacement); Having researched several forums on "how to" service transmission - undertook flushing the transmission fluid (was successful used 13 qts of 3309 Valvoline full Syn.) took on a test trip and same issue "Transmission Fluid Temp warning. Pulled off the interstate and at the off ramp, popped the engine hood & the radiator fan was on high speed & took several minutes to come down to medium. So, returned home - ordered thermostat (replaced) & another trip on the interstate resulted in Transmission Fluid Temp warning, Fan on High Speed, etc...

So, things that are of concern (in addition to the Transmission Temp Warning -- the under hood temp seems warm (engine temp gauge normal) could this be an issue of catalytic convertors causing engine heat build up? Could this be the radiator that needs to be replaced? (engine coolant clean, and replacement of thermostat - their was some corrosion)

Last note: The transmission fluid is definitely running hot based on the amount of fluid running out the transmission vent tube - that's why I haven't researched or replaced the transmission fluid temp sensor. Again, this all started with a fluid change at the local transmission shop.
IDENTIFIED left post catalytic converter was clogging up (heat at front of cat was 525 degrees & at back of cat 272 degrees)

Action Taken: Replaced both post cats along with both downstream O2 Sensors.

Result: XC90 is running like a top & eliminated the trans Temp warning.