General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

2001 S80 headlight problems

Old 03-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 S80 headlight problems

I've just bought my first Volvo, however this seems to have electrical gremlins,

everything was fine until yesterday when I used the coming home feature, now the headlights stay on, no matter what position I turn the switch.

I've locked the car and stood for 10 mins to see if the lights turn off, but no joy. i've even removed and unplugged the dashboard switch but again no joy.

PLEASE help

Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 AM

OH the car is a 2001 S80

Old 03-16-2013, 03:50 PM

Can anyone help??

Old 03-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just looked up the Spec'sl for my 2002 S40 / V40.
According to that you pull the turn signal lever on the left side of the steering column towards the steering wheel (i.e. yourself.)
As when operating the headlight flasher.
This should then de-activate the safe home function you have currently set.
The same action also sets the option when one initially wants to engage it.
If that doesnt work I would assume you may have a fault with the signal lever switch itself.
Maybe worn or possibly dust/dirt affecting contacts.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM

I've not heard of this before, but it sounds like a fault in one of the many modules that control such things. Try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins to see if it 'resets' something.

The 'home' lighting is a preset period (that can be varied by your dealer, up to about 90 secs I think)

Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith
I've note head of this before, but it sounds like a fault in one of the many modules that control such things. Try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins to see if it 'resets' something.

The 'home' lighting is a preset period (that can be varied by your dealer, up to about 90 secs I think)

Hi, I have given this a go...but as soon as i reconnected the battery, the lights were once again shining bright. Is there any other suggestions that I could try?

Old 03-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by Dougie8t6
I've just bought my first Volvo, however this seems to have electrical gremlins,

everything was fine until yesterday when I used the coming home feature, now the headlights stay on, no matter what position I turn the switch.

I've locked the car and stood for 10 mins to see if the lights turn off, but no joy. i've even removed and unplugged the dashboard switch but again no joy.

PLEASE help
when I removed the switch the lights remain ON..should doing this, have made the lights turn off?
to keep the headlights turned off, ive had to remove the fuse in the drivers side fuse compartment.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM

With a degree of reluctance, given your plight I have just tried out my own lights in 'coming home mode'. It all worked fine. (30 second delay to switch off)

I switched off the headlights fully as per normal.
Removed the key from the ignition fully and then toggled the turn signal / high beam switch once towards myself.
The low beam headlights came on and stayed on for the 30 seconds after which they went off automatically
By toggling the switch again the lights can be turned off manually to disengage the function.
Did you perhaps try activating with your key still in the ignition and/or the headlight switch on the dash turned on. That may be where you went wrong??

Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by difflock54
With a degree of reluctance, given your plight I have just tried out my own lights in 'coming home mode'. It all worked fine. (30 second delay to switch off)

I switched off the headlights fully as per normal.
Removed the key from the ignition fully and then toggled the turn signal / high beam switch once towards myself.
The low beam headlights came on and stayed on for the 30 seconds after which they went off automatically
By toggling the switch again the lights can be turned off manually to disengage the function.
Did you perhaps try activating with your key still in the ignition and/or the headlight switch on the dash turned on. That may be where you went wrong??
Hi thanks for the reply, and no, what happened was some wires inside the headlight were touching and keeping them on...I had an Auto-electrician have a look at it for me, a little fiddle with the wires and hey presto they turned off. I may however mention the lights were not staying on for a matter of seconds, they were on for 5 hours solid before i removed the fuse, so I had already ruled out the coming home lights...But thanks to all those who replied

Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 PM

Great to hear you have the problem sorted OK.
5 hours solid with the headlights on sure ain't good for the battery life either.
Especially with your cold, snowy US winters.
Regards. Peter.