General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

940 rebuild knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 940 rebuild knocking noise

Hi everyone, I sadly was let down by our trusty 940 2.3 se estate whilst going on holiday in November, just got to the top of Sutton bank in yorkshire when the temp guage went high, loss of water. topped her up to go further 2 miles to cottage, water gone again, obvious head gasket failure, came home on recovery lorry, now sits on my drive. I took the head off, after close examination, I found a small hole/crack in the inlet port on No 2 cylinder, scrap head. I couldn't find anyone with a new or remanufactured head in the u.k, so I got one from a volvo breaker in Huddersfield, came all o.k, looked all o.k no warping after measuring on head, so put it on. I drained the old oil naturally, with a lot of water in it, after getting it all back together, I thought that i would spin her over without the plugs in to circulate the new oil, sadly when i spin her on the starter, there is a worrying knocking sound, I double checked the timing, mark on bottom pulley on the 0 mark & dot mark on cam gear, turned by hand on socket two turns and re-checked still the same on the marks. I know that the marks are now out on the auxillery shaft, but according to the haynes manual, this isn't so critical as only balance shaft,I measured the tappet clearence which are between 11 & 13 thou, all the buckets seem to turn round o.k by hand also, my question to you all who know, is this. Do the marks have to align up on the aux shaft gear/pulley, and what can the knocking be, I am now wondering if the big end has gone on one of the cylinders, any help will be greatly appreciated, many thanks,Ralph.