General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

960 FALLING APART haynes manual, anyone???

Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 960 FALLING APART haynes manual, anyone???

this is a repost of what I put in the welcome section (just joined today) sorry if it's long winded, but after fixing one problem, I got 6 others. Lucky me.

Just got a 1995 black 960, and it's starting to fall apart. passenger door won't open from inside or out, although window works, winter mode works for trans, but not sure about eco (might be stuck in sport - getting ~13mpg overall), heater on the drivers side doesn't work, and a hissing noise just started from under the glove box area. I can only surmise that this is a vacuum actuated control system, as I lost the ability to recirculate cabin air at the same time... I fiddled with the climate control until the hissing stopped, but I'm concerned that it's affecting the door as well (went within a day of eachother... also, when I got the hissing to stop, the passenger seat no longer de-hissifies upon shutdown of the car...that part never bugged me...)

Also have a clanking/metal on metal noise from what seems to be under the car (usually at 30mph+ or on bumpy roads like my 1/4 mile driveway). Not the exahaust, I jacked it up and kicked it from muff to cat, and it's sound. That would have been too easy... Maybe a control arm, or whatever is back there on a rwd car? (I spent too long working on my civic when I had her)

And of course, I had to get the only volvo for which Haynes has no published manual... So off to the surgeon to remove my arm and leg as payment to the dealership...

Hopefully some kind folks here can help me avoid as much of that as I can...

Other than that, she drives like a dream, and even handles like a sports car when at speeds over 100mph (at 35 the turns feel like my grandmother's oldsmobile :-/ I did just come from a mustang, though...)
should I try to sell it? part it out? there's no rust at all, and the clearcoat is still almost perfect... and I'm in the mid atlantic (philadelphia area)...

I just can't afford $200/month for gasoline anymore!

Guess my first priority should be the door, since it won't pass inspection like that :-) (due in July)

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 PM

nobody? *taps microphone* is this thing on?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey man, sounds like you have a basket full of UN-COMMON 960 problems. If I were you, I would list them in the 960 section one at a time. Some people get overwhelmed with them grouped up.

As for the door, I would guess that you have a broken latch. Not sure how to get the thing open with it stuck closed. I'd wait for the pros to chime in.

As for the gas milage, do you have a cel? My car gets 22 MPG in sport mode, the worse is 21. I must say that I do not live in a metro area like Philly but you should get no less than 18. If it's not missing, you should replace your plugs, air filter and make sure you don't have any brakes dragging.

You can drop the panel under the dash on the passenger seat to check for a broken vacuum line on the hissing.

As for the clunking sound, my guess would be a bad shock of strut. I have a rumbling/chattering sound under my car when driving over bumpy pavement as well. Have not traced it down yet but then again I have been working other projects in my spare time and have not really looked for it.

Unfortionately the 960's are a bread that until recently were controled by people that had the money to run to the dealer every month. So there is very little help as for DIYSers like you and I. Hope you get things sorted out because I think they are really nice driving cars.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:50 PM

thanks for the tip, I didn't know there was a 960 section - I'll do it there.

As a matter of fact, it's at the dealership right now getting diagnosed for $100... at least they gave me an S80 as a loaner (lol). interior is so cramped compared to the mid 90s cars though!

And yeah, it was high end, so I guess that's why they never published a manual, they figured if you have one, you'll get it serviced by the pros. They quoted me 600 for the vacuum leak, 3-400 for the trans problem (solenoid they say), and didn't give me any idea for the door except they'll have to take apart the whole thing and reassemble it... sounds costly...

And to boot, today I started having a water leak - dealer says its the sunroof drain tubes that run down the sides of the windshield and got clogged so all of the water is coming out on the passenger side floor... said another 600 or so for that (seat removal, carpet removal, bypass on the drain, etc, etc...)

if only someone would just sidewall my passenger side while I'm alone in the car, then their insurance would buy me a new one ;-)