General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Another Fob replacement question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022 | 07:37 AM
|
Default Another Fob replacement question...

I didn't want to "hijack" the other post relating to replacing a fob so I'll start this one although it's somewhat similar,
I need to tow our 2007 XC70 to the dealer to have the car and new fob programmed since the chip inside the only one I have is busted when I put a small screw through the two halves of the top part of the fob when tape or tie wraps didn't work in keeping them together.
I just didn't know there was a chip there but soon found out after doing some research as to why the car didn't start...
I called the dealer and I tried explaining that the key is still good as is the remote for the door locks but was still quoted close to $600.
It is the only Volvo dealer within 200kms from us and I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation where they needed only a new chip.
I'd be willing to carry a fob and a half, one with a key and remote, the other the one with a chip, or simply leave the half remote with the chip glued to the steering column if it saves me at least $100...

Old 10-20-2022 | 08:37 AM

If you have the switchblade key - It is two parts screwed together - the flip out key and the remote. If the remote still works - you won't need to purchase one. Take the battery cover off and there is a small torx screw that holds the 2 parts together. It will not cost $600 for a key and programming the car to accept the signal from the new key. I trust you understand a "download" using VIDA is needed to get the car to accept the signal from the new key. The procedure is to order a precut key from Volvo, that will arrive (at your home) in a few days, then you can test that key in the door and ignition. Screw that new key to your working remote. Then unfortunately have your car towed to someone who has a VIDA subscription and a DICE unit. They will "do a download" using VIDA that will tell the CEM to accept the signal from the new key. While you are there if that's your only key - you might want to purchase and program a spare rubber handled key - I have heard (never tried it) that a download for a key can be used for more than one key. A key Download only costs about $25. Note an uncut key list price is less than $50 - So you will have the cut key price plus the cost of the download plus usually 1 hour in labor cost for the tech to "do the download".

Last edited by hoonk; 10-20-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2022 | 10:56 AM
|

Let me see if I understand this correctly...

From Volvo, I tell them I only need the key to my specific vehicle. I show them my VIN, owner's paper, whatever, then the key will come pre-cut and have a chip as well. Will this chip be programmed by Volvo in anyways before it is sent to me?
I know someone who has the VIDA and Dice. He came over with his own blank key which has a "virgin" chip and thought he could read something off my busted glass-encased chip but it's too broken and he couldn't do anything with it, although I did buy the key blank similar to the one in the bottom photo (part number 31253386).

Old 10-20-2022 | 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by KAFSparky
1. From Volvo, I tell them I only need the key to my specific vehicle. I show them my VIN, owner's paper, whatever, then the key will come pre-cut and have a chip as well.
2. Will this chip be programmed by Volvo in anyways before it is sent to me?
3. I know someone who has the VIDA and Dice. ).
1. Yes - simply order a key from Volvo using the VIN. It will arrive precut and they work 99% of the time. See what these mail order Volvo dealers will charge for a precut key - Tasca says an uncut key is only $32. Make sure your dealer (if used) will work with (program) a factory key purchased somewhere else.
2. No - your CEM will have no knowledge of the chip in the new key until VIDA is connected to your car and the "download" tells your CEM to recognize the new key. There is a maximum number of keys allowed - if at the limit the oldest key gets booted off the it's ok to start with this key list.
3. Anyone with a VIDA subscription and a DICE unit that Volvo will allow can do the download. VIDA 2014d is the stolen and hacked last version of Vida that was available on DVD. That is what most people have combined with a clone Dice unit. That version cannot do a download. (or talk to any car after 2015) The VIDA subscription needed can be purchased at volvotechinfo.com

Volvo says on that site the clone dice units won't work with a subscription - don't know if that is true for I've only used factory dice for downloads. However a workaround I have heard of is to use Vdash to "renumber" the clone Dice unit. You won't find out if his dice will work until after you purchase and activate your 3 day subscription, purchase the download and attempt to have the great Volvo god talk to your CEM.

Last edited by hoonk; 10-20-2022 at 11:27 AM.