General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Coolant issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant issues

My Volvo is sick ... when I bought 3 weeks ago, they had just installed a new radiator and heater core. Car drove great. Then I notice a small drop of anti freeze coming from top hose. So I reclamped. Next day too hose blew off ... I put back on. Hour later top radiator hose blew again, this time breaking off the spout hose clamps to
Then at same time, white smoke pours out from exhaust. So we assume head gasket is gone. So we install new radiator and add a head gasket sealer. Followed directions perfectly. It appeared to be working. White smoke stopped car ran great.
2 hours later after it cooled...car would not start ...had trouble getting a spark or gas. Once it started and ran normal it spit out foamy antifreeze out the cap ...enough to give me a low coolant warning. When I add more, it only took enough to fill reserve.
I'm confused. Radiator new, hoses new, cap new and head gasket sealer appears to be working. Why so much pressure still? Why spitting coolant out still? So aggravated!! Long story sorry

Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Given it only took enough coolant to fill the reservoir, I'd check the two hoses for clogs (ie from the reservoir to the engine and to the thermostat/upper hose) and replace. Did you replace the pressure cap and thermostat as well? You may still have the head gasket issue so it may be time for a shop to measure the coolant pressure.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely sounds like your gasket is gone beyond just adding a sealer, sounds like needs a complete replacement.

Far as those darn hoses go, I also found them tricky, took me three tries to install the high pressure hose on the radiator till it finally worked ... they just seem to be touchy and have to be done perfectly.