General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

coolant level alert, 2015 xc60 petrol

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant level alert, 2015 xc60 petrol

Just noticed this coolant level low alert, but it went off shortly after driving, I checked the coolant level it was like this ( a little bit under the min level):

I had this car checked a few weeks ago, and I had this picture when it was doing this coolant checking thing (I am not sure what is the correct terms for it), is it look OK? as the guy who checked it didn't say anything wrong about the coolant level:

I just want to have some advice on this, can I just simply put some more coolant liquid in it, if yes, what kind/brand of coolant liquid should I get? it is blue colour isn't it?

I was thinking to take the car to do a service but maybe in a few months, so I am wondering whether I need to have it serviced urgently.

Many thanks guys!

Last edited by raygrrr; 07-30-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, Volvos have this finicky "Low coolant" light, when you are a half of a hair low it lights up whenyou start the car, once things warm up, coolant expands, everything starts circulating, the light goes off
If you've never added fluid then I wouldn't worry too much, if they topped it off recently then I'd be a bit concerned. It's a closed system and shouldn't go down at all but they seen to after a long time (in my experience).
First thing - does coolant make a little puddle under your car? If so, it needs some work
Second thing, - check oil. if it's milky and yucky looking, it needs service fast
Third thing - get the right coolant top it off (or just water for the small amount you are low. ) Drive it and keep an eye on it. If all is well after a few months then I personally would take it in someday for a flush and fill with new coolant. Yours should still be good, but it loses anti corrosive properties long before it stops being an "antifreeze". Nobody ever hurt their car changing a fluid a bit early and it gives you a fresh starting point for reference.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donf
Yeah, Volvos have this finicky "Low coolant" light, when you are a half of a hair low it lights up whenyou start the car, once things warm up, coolant expands, everything starts circulating, the light goes off
If you've never added fluid then I wouldn't worry too much, if they topped it off recently then I'd be a bit concerned. It's a closed system and shouldn't go down at all but they seen to after a long time (in my experience).
First thing - does coolant make a little puddle under your car? If so, it needs some work
Second thing, - check oil. if it's milky and yucky looking, it needs service fast
Third thing - get the right coolant top it off (or just water for the small amount you are low. ) Drive it and keep an eye on it. If all is well after a few months then I personally would take it in someday for a flush and fill with new coolant. Yours should still be good, but it loses anti corrosive properties long before it stops being an "antifreeze". Nobody ever hurt their car changing a fluid a bit early and it gives you a fresh starting point for reference.
No puddle under the car, so I guess I will just put a little pure water for now, and fill it with new coolant at the next service.

thanks for your reply!