General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Cut radiator from the factory - is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut radiator from the factory - is this normal?

Hello fellow Volvo owners,

I'm a 1st time poster, after discovering the forum and reading the newbie thread and a search with no matches. Here is the dilemma that drove me to the forum:

I own a 1998 V70 Cross Country that has developed a radiator leak. I went to my local dealer and bought a new replacement because I like OEM quality parts. It was late in the week so I paid the premium to have it the next day (Friday) and my son picked up the part. When I opened the box, the radiator was not being held in place, but just had packing paper. When I pulled the radiator from the box, I immediately noticed two matching cuts, one on top and one on the bottom, through the upper and lower aluminum panels, that extended into the radiator and stopped just short of the first coolant tube. I called the dealer and asked for a replacement. After a few days I called to see if it had arrived and I was told that the parts manager wanted to see the part before he would authorize a replacement. So I brought the part in to the dealer and after taking the part back to the Manager I was informed that these cuts are normal on replacement parts from the factory, as was the packing. I was uneasy but said OK. I spoke to another dealer who said the packing was normal but had never seen a cut in the panel like that.

This is the 2nd weekend since, and I still have doubts about the radiator. I don't have time to work on the car during the week. So before I install this I thought I'd post and get some opinions here. I've attached pics for reference.

BTW I am replacing the rad with the help of youtube. It turns out that the video I watched was from S70driver. Kudos to you sir for the advice and help so far.

EDIT: I guess I didn't ask the question. Is this normal? Would you install this?

Last edited by So-CalV70; 05-16-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whelp, let me just say I like to keep it honest, so I went to show the original to my wife ...

Doe! Slits in the radiator for mounting the intercooler.

So, as a first time poster, let me also admit to my first mistake. :Facepalm:

Anyway, glad to be here, and maybe my embarrassment will give you a chuckle. We all need one nowadays!