General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Engine - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine - No Start

2001 Volvo S80 2.X? (its the non turbo one)

Coming home from a friends the other day. Stopped at the stop sign. Went to take off, and I almost thought it had stalled. Had almost zero power. Took a left which is going down a somewhat steep hill. About 300' down I pulled into a 7/11. Few things I noticed before the car came to a full stop:

Lights on the shifter (P-R-N-D-1-2-3) were off.

Also the indicator on the dash read "D" despite being in park.

I shut the car off and went to turn back on. Nothing. The gauges kick on, the radio lights up, head lights come on, but the starter did not click over.

My initial reaction was a security feature. Locked/Unlocked the car a hundred times. Nothing. Intermittently the dashed would read "IMMOBILIZER - SEE MANUAL".

I called AAA and while they were on their way I tried again. The starter turned over but did not start. Tried once more and it fired up. Threw it in gear and made the one mile trip back home.

Had the battery tested and it was fine.

Two days later I go to start the car again, nothing.

Now that I have it near the garage I can do some digging.

Charged the battery overnight. Nothing.

Jumped the battery from another battery. Nothing.

Checked fuses. All good.

Looked under the passenger side to find those wires that come loose. They weren't even there.

Popped the hood. Opened the area by where the belts are to look at the PCM(s?). I see a few exposed wires. Not completely severed, but exposed. There was a point where there was something living in there since I drive a 4x4 in the winter.

So I'm sitting here thinking that a creature of some sort gnawed on some wires. Does that make sense? I can cut/splice the wires that are exposed. There's a blue one and a yellow one. I mean, the car sat maybe a year ago, but its been driven weekly for the past eight or ten months. No issues.

Or is it possible it could be a security thing that is causing issues? I'm looking to sell the car but now its worthless.

Any help/input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:23 PM

did you every get any further with this issue. I have nearly the exact issue going on now.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:44 AM

I have the same issue, key turns on lights, radio, but not motor, i thaught it was the battery on the key, but no, battery is good.