General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

engine noise coming from my v70 - help :P

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise coming from my v70 - help :P

So I decided to post this knowing that engine can indicate that a car needs some kind of service soon (or worse, that the engine needs some expensive investment), and also knowing that I have a tight budget.

I was driving a little bit on low oil, and decided to put some new motor oil in myself. The oil level is fine now, but the engine is still making a noise. It is a sort of rhythmic knocking which doesn't increase when accelerating. It knocks at a moderate volume a number of times for a second or two (almost as if someone was shaking a tin can with a pebble inside), then patters quietly for a second or two, then knocks again at the same rhythm as before. It's not incredibly loud, but it's more than noticeable. When I popped the hood, it sounded like it was coming from the engine, or perhaps below the engine.

Any thoughts in what is causing it? Will it need a pricey engine repair? Is it ok to drive? I'm going to take it to service in a couple days so I will see what they have to say then. The engine isn't that old (only a few years) but I've driven a lot on it and it has over 200k now I think.

The timing belt was replaced recently. Also, sometimes the ignition is stubborn and the car doesn't feel like starting, though so far it has started after a couple of tries (and it normally works ok) so maybe it has something to do with the electronics?

Last edited by bellyfornia; 09-22-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how low was the oil exactly??
chances are that you spun a rod bearing and now you may need a new engine.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it sound like this in a volvo?

With my engine it doesnt really get more high pitched or more rapid with acceleration, although sometimes it gets louder for a second or two. Sometimes there's not even much of a sound at all.

The oil did get pretty low though. At first I was just thinking it was low pressure in turns - I dont think I have an oil leak but it was pretty low by the end.

Last edited by bellyfornia; 09-22-2013 at 09:45 PM.