General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Finding parts and tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
nix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding parts and tuning question

I am having some trouble finding parts for my 740 GLE Turbo 4 banger. I just acquired this car from my brotha in law and it needs a little help.

1. The speedometer isnt working (it works sometimes but never above 50 mph) how to tell if its the pickup or the gauges? There seems to be a short in the gauges themselves as the gas gauge doesnt work on startup but tapping the cover makes it come on. This is also true of the voltometer. I've pulled the unit out and everything seems to be connected tightly. Anyone know anything about this type issue and how to diagnos it would be great....

2. The car doesnt seem to have enough power, I had a hole in the turbo hose from the throttle body and taped it up but need to know where I can find another or will any do from a turbo company?

3. The car is sucking gas. I cannot tell how bad it is because the speedometer isnt working properly but I have to fill up after going 170 miles. That seems horrible to me. The car idles fine and runs ok. I think it should have more power but it runs smooth. No obvious misfiring or rough acceleration. The car sat up for a long time and I'm changing the Distributor/Rotor (SHOCK parts are expensive for this car), spark plugs. any other ideas of what needs to be changed out to tune it?

First time turbo owner, first time Volvo owner.

Thanks everyone in advance. I'll learn this car and not have so many plebian questions in the future. I have a manual but its of limited use for some things like the speedometer.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Finding parts and tuning question

As far as finding new parts, check this link: https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm
It has a bunch of aftermarket and OEM online part suppliers.
IPD andFCP Grotonare good sites but they are many more.
As far as the tune up goes...New spark plugs, New spark plug wires, new dist.cap and rotor, oil/filterchange, new fuel filter, clean out the IC (intercooler) hoses, clean the TB(throttle body), new air filter, and you can try cleaning the MAF/AMM (mass air flow sensor). Try some of these to get better fuel economy, as well as checking tire pressure, washing the car, checking the spark plugs gapping is in spec...ect.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 PM
nix

New spark plugs, (been done)
New spark plug wires, (been done)
new dist.cap and rotor, (doing tomorrow)
oil/filter change, (done)
new fuel filter, (tomorrow)
clean out the IC (intercooler) hoses, (never heard of this one. This is the hose that I had to tape up and cannot find a replacement. Is this a common part that I can get for any/most turbos?
clean the TB (throttle body), (any known issues with using carb cleaner on this? on my Mazda I have to tape off a sensor in the TB first.)
new air filter, (Done)
and you can try cleaning the MAF/AMM (mass air flow sensor). (will do with the TB tomorrow)
Try some of these to get better fuel economy, as well as checking tire pressure,
washing the car, checking the spark plugs gapping is in spec...ect. Done, Done and Done.....

Any ideas on the speedometer? I'll put a voltage meter on it tomorrow to see if its getting good current to the cluster and reseat the power connections. Hope its not the printed circuit thats bad...

Thanks...I know how to do a tune up but wondered if there were any vehicle specific things I missed. You gave me some good ideas.

'nix

Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not that good with electrical stuff (speed-o), so I will let someone else answer.
If you need replacement IC piping check out here: IPD site. I believe that some of theIC hose are interchangeable on these cars, but try and find a part that matches you car.
You can take off all the turbo/intake hose and clean them out with a rag, unless you get new hoses then not really necessary.
Not aware of any problems when cleaning the TB, and you can use a Carb/TB/choke cleaner.
And the gas mileage is not the best for these turbo cars (17-19mpg city/20-22mpg highway).
Turbos use morefuel then NA's.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Ohm out the sensor in the rear end. If you get any siganl at all then the speedo is bad.(Very Very common)
But sometimes the wires at the sensor will break as well.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
nix

I'd be thrilled with 15-17 mph. i'm getting more like 10...and thanks for the tip on how to test the sensor in the rear-end. I'll do that asap...

'nix