General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Geeley - Ford Volvo deal signed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Geeley - Ford Volvo deal signed

According to local media reports in Detroit, Ford and Geeley have inked their deal where Ford sells its interest in Volvo to Geeley Motors of China. Supposed to close in 3rd quarter this year. 1 point something billion dollars. The Chinese company promises to maintain the brand, etc. But it also plans to sell Volvo-branded cars in China. Ford takes a big hit from its 1999 purchase price.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're talking about this on VS right now, but i don't want to read 4 pages. Any comments about this? I somewhat am skeptical about this, but also hope for the best. Maybe this change is for the good? Volvo will stay a Swedish company, but owned by a Chinese manufacture. Hopefully it stays VOLVO parts, not some Geeley parts on there.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Now I'm going to be very disappointed owner of Volvo..never in my wildest dreams I thought I would own a commie bstrds made junk..hope it does't affect any parts because for sure I'm not buying anything made in china...sick

Old 04-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Frankly I'm done with Volvo after the Swedes stopped running it. Yes, F^%$ ford. And don't believe the loss, they(ford) gained by leaps and bounds in safety, quality, etc by sucking it out of Volvo while they let them drown.

A case in point. What kind of corporate management would let a Volvo dealer share a competative brand???? BMW by the way, it makes me sick. IMO, You "dealer" decide if you want Volvo on your lot or BMW, it's one or the other. Ever see a Volvo on a ford lot, not me and when I was looking they said ford owns Volvo and this ford is on a VOLVO platform. Bull F$%#&^% poop.

I'm very happy to own 2 850's, the 98 V70 has it's issues but at least it's the same foundation, the 01V70 is very disappointing. Anyone want to trade a 94- 97 850 wagon for a very nice (polished turd) 01 V70. Please PM.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:50 PM

And don't believe the loss, they(ford) gained by leaps and bounds in safety, quality, etc by sucking it out of Volvo while they let them drown. .
Well Said

Anyone want to trade a 94- 97 850 wagon for a very nice (polished turd) 01 V70. Please PM.
Lol....

Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad news. You're already buying "Chinese junk". That is, unless you haven't bought a single consumer product in the last 25 years....
It's all very nice pretending to be patriotic and saying you won't buy "Chinese junk" but you really don't have a say in it with a global economy. There are plenty of other nations that turn out bad products, but no one bags them out. No one gets upset that their Toyotas or Mazdas are made in Thailand, for example.....
If you think ANY corporation is going to ditch hundreds of millions of dollars in spare parts, tooling and production plants for said parts, to set them up again in China, you're very, very wrong. No business throws away money, especially when they've bought the parts inventory, any leases for production plants, plants and real estate for ten cents on the dollar! Anything they sell is pure profit for them, it's a smart business move.
None of your parts are going to be made in China for a very, very long time.
If you seriously think any auto manufacturer cares about 10+ year old cars, you are wrong. If you think they view parts for such vehicles as an income stream, you are dead wrong. The only reason auto manufacturers carry large parts inventories for older vehicles is because it's mandated by consumer laws in most western countries. Carrying such parts is as best a break even proposition.
Chinese companies are buying technology, they are very shrewd, they know they don't have the knowledge and engineering base to go straight into top end motor vehicle production, so they buy a company that is leading edge and instantly have it all available, on tap, to start designing from.

Regards, Andrew.