General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo sold the Geeley of China

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Volvo sold the Geeley of China

Per today's financial press, Ford and Geely Motors of China have apparently reached a deal for Ford to sell Volvo to Geeley Motors of China.

Few details presently available. Obviously, the current models will be Ford/Volvo designs.

Of course, given GM's lack of luck in selling SAAB, there is no deal until its done, but this buyer has been interested for awhile in Volvo.

I only hope the new owner continues to support older Volvo models.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me correct the headline.... Ford has agreed a deal, has NOT sold Volvo YET!..... They apparently reached a deal on price and on the "proprietary technology"..... This sets the way for the 2 companies to go thru the transaction AND also the SWEDISH government also has to give its blessing on the deal. When FORD acquired Volvo, the Swedish government took a stake on the company to ensure that the car company wasn't going to leave their people jobless........Lets see what happens from here. According to one financial site, this could take 6 months at the earliest to close on the deal... Here's an article from todays NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/24/bu...=1&partner=rss

Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 PM

what will this do to volvo? wondering as a new XC60 owner.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 PM

IMO, I would think the quality control can only get better than under FORD. The Low side is that Geely is known for using cheap plastics for their cars. However, they currently make budget cars. Hopefully they wont take the crappy plastics in the Volvos.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:27 PM
JP

I think it sucks all around.

I am huge on tradition. Not just in cars, but anything. It's just something about me. Ford having Volvo is bad enough (but justified in my mind because I like Ford :P ). Now the Chinese? That sucks, I'm out.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Old 12-24-2009, 04:47 PM

Like u see in the video.... I think Geely will be the one to make out like a bandit with the acquisition of Volvo.... Eventually they will both share "proprietary technology" like the SIPS system and other things. Volvo on the other hand will probably gain nothing..

Old 12-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Unhappy end of the line

I've owned Volvos for almost 30 years. Liked the safety and Swedish influence (and accepted Ford influence) but like many will probably never even go into a Volvo dealer again as it just doesn't feel right anymore. Volvo and Saab had loyal followers but I expect they will all move to another brand over time.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 PM
JP

Yes you are right. When this deal officially closes, Volvo won't be "my" brand anymore. I'll probably switch to Ford.

I still will like Volvo Trucks though.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:53 PM

I will still like Volvo...... I will just stick to the Oldies, pre 1998.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Chinese firm does continue to produce Volvos (possibly only a couple of models) I can't see an issue as long as the current practices and techniques are adhered to. There is more than one Chinese car manufacturer building cars to a high standard at the moment.
The Chinese aren't dumb, they know Volvos sell and won't change the recipe for some time.
What most of you don't realise is the really large manufacturing firms in China typically have a big staff of foreigners doing all the technical work and they use the fact they have access to cheap labour and materials to reduce costs. SO teh quality is there but it's much cheaper to manufacture.
However, I expect the Chinese firm will buy Volvo for access to patents and technology, we will probably see Volvo disappear like Rover etc.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There has to be some sort of plan. While the Chinese company is paying far less than Ford did when it purchased Volvo, according to media reports the purchase price is still in the billions. Even to the Chinese, that's real money. Of course, we don't know the terms yet, so it could be a dollar a year for a billion years....

My guess is that the Chinese are purchasing their way into "high end" motor vehicles with an internationally known and distributed brand. They showed no interest, for example, in Chrysler which lacks those attributes but was certainly for sale on the cheap. So maybe its a way to gain some cache' for their domestic brands and a distribution network for cars, repair and replacement parts, etc. that is not controlled by foreigners. I don't think Chinese motor vehicles enjoy a large export market, but then at present they don't need one any more than the Big Three here needed one in the 1950's and 1960's.

All of which begs the question, what will become of the Volvo brand over time? For current and soon-to-be-released models (see, e.g. S60 and C30 revamp), probably nothing. But one might suspect a reduction in the number of models bearing the Volvo label as current model life cycles expire. Will they see a need to make an XC 90, &0 and 60, for instance?

My concern is that "hidden" parts like suspension links, electrical sensors, piston rings, etc., could be cheapened at source (who knows what commercial links exist within China) while the vehicles maintain their current appearance and we'd have a 1970's-1980's Detroit style cost and quality cutting occurring in Volvo. Not good, as any Detroit engineer can tell you; although the finance boys may beg to differ since they saw it as a marvelous opportunity. And it worked, in the short run with disasterous long term consequences now readily apparent to all.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 AM

Since 1982 I've owned five Volvos, 3 240's, an 850 and an '08 V70. If the Chinese deal goes through, my current 850 and V70 are the last Volvos I will own.

This country is selling its soul the the ChiComs.

'Nuff said.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Typhoon
The Chinese aren't dumb
Chinese buy Hummer...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE55230Z20090603

Of course, Americans ain't better, we built it in the first place. And Penske almost bought Saturn.

I'll bet, like these two deals, Ford will only sell the Volvo name. Volvo production is too wrapped up in Ford plants and Fords are using too many Volvo parts now.

Ford, killer of my two favorite brands, Volvo and Jaguar...

Probably my next car will be a BMW... or a 1963 Studebaker Hawk...

Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Just got my 2010 Volvo XC90 in January and officially know that Volvo has been sold to China Geely, well...regardless of what happens in the future, at least mine wasn't manufacturered there yet, otherwise I'd look elsewhere. But as a prestigious brand like Volvo, I probably won't be buying more of the this make after this. I'll end up using up my free 5 year warranty / free maintenance and buy a new car. Its just doesn't feel sophisticated anymore, well in the future I mean.

Just my 2 cents.....

Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 PM

Even after Ford bought Volvo they continued to produce them at the Volvo plants in Sweden, belguim, etc. I assume the chinese would do the same. Maybe they want to improve the Geely cars by using volvo tech the way ford did. Anyone have any new opinions on this? It has been almost a year since the news came out and now the figure is firmed up at 1.8 billion. Ford is selling for 5 billion less than they paid in 1999.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 AM

why pre 98? i've been wanting an older, but not too old Volvo that is still good older Volvo quality, and i was wondering when Volvo started to go downhill? what happened past 98?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by johnnypaul657
why pre 98? i've been wanting an older, but not too old Volvo that is still good older Volvo quality, and i was wondering when Volvo started to go downhill? what happened past 98?
Ford bought Volvo cars in late 98 early 99. Not sure if I agree with the statement of avoiding post 98 Volvos. Actually I do disagree since I just bought a 2008 XC90.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 AM

your gonna be a happy camper no matter what 2008 car you buy! only time will tell if it was a good decision

Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by johnnypaul657
your gonna be a happy camper no matter what 2008 car you buy! only time will tell if it was a good decision
I would have to agree. I think I at least started with a good decision by buying preowned so someone else paid the depreciation for year 1 and 2 and saved me $20k. That said I would imagine that any car with the bells and whistles this one has will have is share of issues over time. There is just too much to go wrong. Thats just car ownership though.