General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Has anyone ever bought a car from this place in Florida.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone ever bought a car from this place in Florida.

Hello

I just want to know if anyone has ever bought a car from this place in Florida that sells used volvo. They listed a nice 98 S70 GLT with 99K mile on ebay and when I called them they said it was sold and said they they have plenty of other used volvos. I ask them where they get there cars from and they said they are traded ins at new car dealerships and after that they get them. They do not provide car fax reports but they do provide an auto check report. Below is there web site

http://volvo123.com

Old 11-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I usually do NOT run a car fax on a car when I purchase it, I use AutoCheck as well. I don't think it matters where they get their cars from if they are not rebuilding wrecked ones, as long as they run and you are not over paying for it.

Most car dealerships that sell new cars will not sell a car that is over 8 years old or has more than 100,000 miles on it. Don't get me wrong, they may sell a 5 year old car with 110,000 on it but if it's 7 years old, probably not.

Some of the best deals that I have ever gotton on cars were the ones I got from new car dealerships that were traded in the day before. They usually park them in the back of the lot and try to get them off the lot by noon. The sell them to used dealers for anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 more than they gave for it and never look back. Heck, I went to a dealer one time, about 7:40 in the morning (before the used dealers got there) and purchased a $5,300 Honda accord for about $3,400. I'm sure they gave about $1,800 or $2,000 for it the night before. I never even drove it. Just started it and started working on the price. I don't think that car ever let me down, put about 70,000 miles on it (it had 157,000 when I got it) before someone stole it.

So, if you're not picky, hit some dealers very early looking for the trade-in's. If you step on the lot and ask someone to point you to them straight off, they usually will. Of course these are cash deal and the car wont be cleaned up but the less you mess with it, the better deal you'll get on it.

Now days dealers are giving more on nice trade-in's like a clean S70 just to get a deal done. But I doubt they gave more than $3,200 for the car and it's probably priced at $5,900 now. The dealer that took it in on trade probably didn't make a dime on it when they sold it. Some larger dealers even deliver cars to the auction lot and sell them there. That's where the used dealers get the best deals. They may pay as low as $2,500 for a car like that because you simply can't get a car that old financed.

Don't be afraid to get the car inspected. Those used dealers wont mind. The strange thing is that some of those cars are tradded with service records and the used dealers trash them as soon as they see them, especially if they have a hole in them, like a missing oil change receipt or something.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Just looked at that S70, looks like they sold it for $4,900. At least that is what they were asking. Seems very reasonable to me. Was a nice clean car as well.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I NEVER buy a car without a carfax - it's good to know what kind of damage the car has seen. But, if you don't need a nice, straight car, then sure, if it runs, great.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, honestly, a Car Fax or equivalent is a nice security blanket but truly unscrupulous sellers know how to launder titles. My 90 740 is a case in point. It was an Oregon car for 14 years and then titled here in Texas. Car Fax was clean...two years later it pops up as salvage. Neat trick. Mileage discrepancies are rampant on Car Fax because it is recorded annually by safety inspectors. If they transpose 2 digits, the history is screwed for life. We had a late model Accord at the shop, spotless Car Fax...had been pieced together from 2 cars. The welds were clearly evident underneath. Drivability and overall appearance is really all you can believe when it comes to second hand vehicles.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Administrator

I had a 960 that my daughter wrecked and the insurance company gave me full value for. I purchased it back, got it fixed for 20% of what they told me it would cost and low and behold, 2 years later it had a clean car history report. Yea Baby!!! Sold it for more than blue book. LOL

Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator

BTW, I did tell the lady that my daughter wrecked it.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 PM

A CarFax just ruins it all. You have what looks to be a super clean car at a super good deal, then Mr.Car Fox proceeds to tell you you're better off dead. Seems like every car is molested in some way. Why else are they selling it? If it was a car they cared about, it would be a keeper.

2₵

Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Well, when mom put you in front of a tv when you were 2, and let you sit there until you had to go to ps at 6, then you were hurrassed by the Jones till you were 22, you think you need a new car every few years regardless of it's condition.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many people who lease cars, or people who don't want a car without a warranty, and so on - there are plenty of reasons some people keep switching cars - or maybe the car is too small for them, or ... I could go on and on.
All I'm saying is, a Carfax will show you if the car has been in an accident, even if it looks perfect, and this could lead to future issues for you.
In fact, my V50's car fax showed intensive maintenance records from day one - so I know for a fact that this car was taken care of like a baby. My mechanic, on his inspection, confirmed this. That's only the smart way to buy a car, if you don't have money to toss around.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Well, when mom put you in front of a tv when you were 2, and let you sit there until you had to go to ps at 6, then you were hurrassed by the Jones till you were 22, you think you need a new car every few years regardless of it's condition.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Burn Stains
Why else are they selling it? If it was a car they cared about, it would be a keeper.
What I was trying to say is that some people just get newer cars because they have been brain washed by commercials and their piers that it's the thing to do. Not all people replace cars because there is something wrong with them. I have purchased cars that had absolutely nothing wrong with them and have sold and given away cars that had nothing wrong with them.