General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

In the market, need buyer's advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market, need buyer's advice.

I'm currently in the market for a vehicle and Volvo's appeal to me because of their phenomenal safety ratings. Ultimately, the most important thing for me is whenever I leave home, I wanna make it back to my family in one piece. I am going into this blind, however. I have never been in a Volvo. I don't know which models and which model years are good and which to avoid.

My budget is $20,000. I am not against getting something well below that maximum if the quality is close to something much more expensive. Ideally, I would like a sedan or an SUV, but I would be okay with a hatchback if it was the superior option. Wagons and coupes (do they even make coupes?) are not something I would like, but I would consider them.

The biggest thing I am looking for outside of safety is reliability. I want to bring it into the shop as little as possible. For issues, I mean, I don't mind going in for preventive or recommended maintenance. I would do everything in my power to take care of it.

Interior space is the next biggest factor for me. Being 6'0 feet tall with long legs means I am often cramped when I sit in vehicles, especially smaller ones. I would really love if I didn't have to have my knees bent at a 45' degree angle at all times when I drive.

Driving and handling isn't that big of a deal for me. I'm used to driving older, beat up vehicles, so bumpy, rattling drives are not going to be a shock to my system.

One of my biggest questions is: Are the newer models as solid as the older models? Has the quality maintained itself or has it faltered over the years? For example, I read that the '98 S70 is a very solid vehicle, is something like a '13 S60 (or whatever the most comparable model is) just as good, better, or worse?

So, I ask you all for help, as you know much more than I do. What should I narrow my search down to? What are some things to watch out for or tips that are helpful to know when it comes to buying and owning a Volvo that the average Joe wouldn't know?

Thank you all in advance.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:52 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to the forum Warp