General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

My poor s40

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My poor s40

Can anyone help me please. Just bought an s40. It was really noisy with rubbing sounds coming from the rear wheels. When I checked, both the rear discs were on the verge of breaking apart. I changed them yesterday complete with new pads. Had to free up the hand brake levers as well cos they were stiff. Took it for long test driver to bed in the brakes. I now get a whining noise coming from the wheels. Think it could be the wheel bearings but been told they are fitted for life of car and should never need maintenance. I noticed the bearings were running dry. Could this be the problem. Really have no wish to take it to main dealers at £93 an hour labour charge for nothing.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: My poor s40

Hello Mate,

Greetings from Vermont, U.S.

As I'm an 850 driver,I'm not pryvy to S40. My first suggestion is to post the question in the S40 section so that you'll get more accurate reply than I could provide you.

Well, judging from general knowledge, yes the wheel bearings are usually good for the life of the car. However, there are some instances where you need to replace them if persistent noise occurs or play is found. In case of 850, sometimes the front bearing & hub unit need replacement.

Before replacing the bearings, I would first double-check on the brakes. Something could be binding. Or, if you can get access to the bearing again, apply some wheel bearing grease and if the noise goes away, then it may as well be the bearings.

Sorry I couldn't help you any better. Again, post your question in the S40 section, that's my best suggestion.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe a bad tire.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya JPN

Many greetings to you from Scotland U.K.

Thanks for your reply. I used to have an 850 myself a few years ago.
Seems the difference to me is the fact that the 850 had seperate brake shoes from the discs.
My S40 has disc brakes with integral handbrake operating on the disc pads. I will certainly try the brakes once more.
I found that the wheel bearings are dry running, I wasnt sure if they were supposed to be greased, so I applied bearing grease to 1 side. Hopefully it wont do too much damage if I got it wrong.

Anyway many thanks for your quick reply and advice.
Look forward to hearing from you in future

Cheers

Manwivtruck

Old 03-06-2007, 04:06 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Manwivtruck,

>Scotland U.K.
I'm a Scotch whisky enthusiast (not an alcoholic, though), and still trying to find the best Scotch whisky. Scotch whisky is noticeably different from other kinds of whisky, in that they have smooth, silky falvour to them.I particularly like the ones distilled in Low Land region.

In general, bearings should be nested in grease, and I do not know of many bearings that run dry. But there are exceptions as always, so may be I just don't know them.

Anyway, when in doubt, trust those gentlemen with "Moderator" tags. Moderator "Tech" and Moderator "S70driver" are the two top dogs on this forum.

I hope those in the S40 section can help you eliminate the problem. If the question is of general topic, I might be able to assist you too.

Thanks & Cheers,

JPN