General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

My Volvo Saved My Life

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Volvo Saved My Life

The following truly shows how well Volvo builds their cars.
YouTube - Volvo S40 Crash & Burn

On my way to work on March 28th, 2011, I had seen a car accident occur about 200 feet in front of me. I instantly hit the bakes and went from 50-0 without skidding or tire squeal, coming within about 20 feet of the accident in front of me. At that very second, I had realized the danger I was in. Thinking fast, I checked the rear view mirror to make sure I was not about to be hit. Too late.

All I saw was green. The person behind me hadn't even touched the brakes, when he slammed into me at 50 mph.

My body, was thrown back into the seat deforming it. The head restraint had done a great job. I was then slammed into the car accident in front of me but at only about 10mph since I had left some space.

By the time I had come too, I was looking at the ceiling of my S40. Realizing that the car that had hit me caught fire, the adrenaline kicked in. Grabbed what I could, called the cops, and started shooting video from my Droid X.

In a lot of pain right now, but I'm counting my lucky stripes. I am just glad I'm breathing. If something doesn't make sense blame it on the Oxy.

FYI, I typed this all with my right hand and I am left handed. :P

Last edited by rspi; 04-01-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: grammor
Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm glad you weren't injured more, hope the shoulder mends well.

Where the hell do you live that nobody stops for an accident????? I don't think some of those cars even slowed down!! Let see now - fire in and around the rear of your car, kinda where the ole' gas tank is located and people just driving right next to it.

Finally, I'm sorry you lost your car but at least there is one less minivan on the road.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by donf
I'm glad you weren't injured more, hope the shoulder mends well.

Where the hell do you live that nobody stops for an accident????? I don't think some of those cars even slowed down!! Let see now - fire in and around the rear of your car, kinda where the ole' gas tank is located and people just driving right next to it.

Finally, I'm sorry you lost your car but at least there is one less minivan on the road.
This happened in Washington DC, it pretty sad no one stopped to help. As for people driving around a car burning like that is crazy. The local news want to interview me about it.

My S40 gave its life for mine, and im quite grateful im still here.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Distracted drivers. They scare the hell out of me. Thanks for sharing. I think you did good getting out of that car with little harm. I wondered if the newer Volvo's were as safe.

About once or twice per week I have to turn on my flashers because I'm driving down the freeway at 63 mph and some jackass is on the phone behind me and I can't even see their bumper, with the other lane open. I mean, REALLY!!! If you have to stop fast you can forget the people behind you doing their part.

It looked to me that the van caught fire and burned so much that it did burn the Volvo. The gas tank it under the rear seat and it looks to me like it did NOT catch fire.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Distracted drivers. They scare the hell out of me. Thanks for sharing. I think you did good getting out of that car with little harm. I wondered if the newer Volvo's were as safe.

About once or twice per week I have to turn on my flashers because I'm driving down the freeway at 63 mph and some jackass is on the phone behind me and I can't even see their bumper, with the other lane open. I mean, REALLY!!! If you have to stop fast you can forget the people behind you doing their part.

It looked to me that the van caught fire and burned so much that it did burn the Volvo. The gas tank it under the rear seat and it looks to me like it did NOT catch fire.
They scare me too. Especially after this. The fire was caused by the ford windstar's engine compartment and spread throughout both vehicles.

Volvos will always be safe and always have been.

Im looking at a 2005 BMW M3, but im tempted to buy still buy an S40.