General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

need to know,what motor do i have??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to know,what motor do i have??

ok according to some stuff im reading i should have the 2.3 but then by other stuff i should have the 2.4. like the chiltons manual says and shows a picture of my exact engine bay and states its a 2.3 but the sticker on the underside of the hood says its a b5254t which shows its a 2.4(though it doesn't show it for a 2.4 model on a 1998 c70).
i really need ot know what motor i've got i've already done a tune-up basing it on a 2.3(hopefully its the same)
heres a pic of my engine bay. any help would be appreciated thanks
Name:  2011-06-01164434.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  77.0 KB

Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The sticker on the front of the timing belt cover has the motor specs. It is also a STICKY in the Freq Asked Questions: https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...-owners-52250/

Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator

BTW, where is your fuse box/relay cover?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
The sticker on the front of the timing belt cover has the motor specs. It is also a STICKY in the Freq Asked Questions: https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...-owners-52250/
sorry bout that didn't realize that would be a common question, i'll check the cover in a little bit when i go back outside.
the fuse box cover is sitting in the trunk, i bought it without it and was just about to order one and the previous owner found that and the owners manual in his garage and gave it to the dealer i bought the car from i just gotta put it back on when i get a minute

Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 AM

well the sticker on the timing cover matches the one on the hood. now back to my other question then will i having any issues with buying plugs,wires cap and rotor for a 2.3 or are they the same?i already have them installed on the car

Old 07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator

You can check FCP or iPd and see if they have the same part numbers for both.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 AM

You can check FCP or iPd and see if they have the same part numbers for both.
ok im not famaliar with those initiall what are they??? and i did a search here and google and came up with nothing

Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 AM

well since the answer was a little vague i just called the place i bought the parts from and asked them to compare and it appears to be the same.
rspi i agree with your first response as im familiar with the search button and should have searched better( especially since im an old schooler at another car site) but the last response should have been a little more explanatory to a volvo newbie, especially since the search results here brought up zero results here on the initials you gave. im not trying to sound like a newbie here starting something, far from it, im just giving a suggestion.
but thanks for the first post regardless pointing me in the right direction to get started figuring this out.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator

I apologize, I should have noticed that your join date was recent.

FCP is a company that sells parts at great prices. They are also a sponsor and have several links and ad banners.
Volvo Parts, BMW Parts, European Car Parts | FCPGroton.com

IPD is a company that specializes in Volvo's. They use to race Volvl's and helps provide oem and upgraded parts for Volvo's.
www.ipdusa.com

I usually try to purchase all of my parts from those 2 suppliers. I think it's a shame that the stealer has started discontinuing parts on their cars that were built in '98. I have found this to be true to many auto manufacturers. After 10 years, good luck. I like older cars and think newer cars are the 2nd biggest waste of money a person can partake in. I know newer cars have their place, especially with people that like the smell of new things and can't or don't want to do maintenance, but, the hardest thing about driving older cars is the ability to get the parts you need to fix it.

Hope that helps. Shop FCP & iPd.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator

BTW, does your Grand Prix have the HUD?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 AM

I apologize, I should have noticed that your join date was recent.

FCP is a company that sells parts at great prices. They are also a sponsor and have several links and ad banners.
Volvo Parts, BMW Parts, European Car Parts | FCPGroton.com

IPD is a company that specializes in Volvo's. They use to race Volvl's and helps provide oem and upgraded parts for Volvo's.
www.ipdusa.com

I usually try to purchase all of my parts from those 2 suppliers. I think it's a shame that the stealer has started discontinuing parts on their cars that were built in '98. I have found this to be true to many auto manufacturers. After 10 years, good luck. I like older cars and think newer cars are the 2nd biggest waste of money a person can partake in. I know newer cars have their place, especially with people that like the smell of new things and can't or don't want to do maintenance, but, the hardest thing about driving older cars is the ability to get the parts you need to fix it.

Hope that helps. Shop FCP & iPd.
it's cool rspi no worries. i don't always check join dates on the other site ive been on since 03 when i respond either. im sure anybody that's been here awhile would have instantly known what those meant.
and thanks bunches for those leads on places to get parts i hate going to stealerships (not to mention the 120 mile round trip it takes to get there)
i agree with you on newer cars being a waste on money, my grand prix has felt that way to me since i bought it(mainly due to making car payments) i have a small loan on my volvo but that was only because i was i little short on my offer price when i seen it and wanted it but that will be paid off in a 1/8 of the time that the contract is for.
and on the grand prix no it doesn't have the HUD its just the base model sedan with the base options for a grand prix but with a few more options than a fully load 05 cavalier(wifes car). no SC either(thankfully 1 vehicle i can run regular gas in lol)

Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 AM

The best way to find this - type VIN code og your volvo car in special program, they decode it and tell you everything about you car

Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 AM

ok this is annoying i finally just took a look at IPD today and the only 2 motors they list for my car is 2.3 and the 2.5 WTH it lists the b5254t as the 2.5. no wonder people have trouble trying to figure out what motor they have if there can't seem to be any consistency between sites on what b5254t stands for motor wise this is starting to get a little aggravating