General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

New batter on Saturday - car won't start today! 2000 v70

Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Exclamation New batter on Saturday - car won't start today! 2000 v70

Hi. I am a new and not very car savvy. I just bought a 2000 v70 this week. The previous owner just replaced the battery on Saturday as it wouldn't start for her. I know the car had never been in the shop for any extended amount of time as I saw her drive it nearly every day for the last three years. Anyway, I went to start my car this morning and it wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. The key fob wouldn't unlock the doors, there are no lights. Nothing was left on or open. The only signs of life the car has are the little anti-theft red blinking light on the dash and a very faint door ajar warning beep that I nearly missed because it is so quiet.

My dad is thinking maybe the young lad that replaced the battery didn't tighten the cables properly. I'll check in the morning as it is raining like crazy right now. If that doesn't do the trick, what is my next step in process of elimination? If I can jump it, I'll head down to the auto parts shop for a read on it but I kind of want to know what this could be leading up to.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Amanda

Last edited by Amanda Sugarman; 10-05-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Get a volt meter. Very important for life. If you can get this battery charged up it should have about 12.5 volts. The car running should have more like 13.5 to a little over 14. Battery cables are pretty simple, you can get those tight. I am not a fan of taking the alternator off to have it tested. The car has to be assembled to work, and we want to see it work.

Normally, a dead battery is because of a light on somewhere. Try diligently to find this light. Look at the car in the pitch black dark. Put your phone in the glove box and make a video of what happens inside the glove box when it's closed. If you don't find a light, and the battery goes dead again, then you will need to get somebody involved who likes to troubleshoot electrical problems.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts View Post
Get a volt meter. Very important for life. If you can get this battery charged up it should have about 12.5 volts. The car running should have more like 13.5 to a little over 14. Battery cables are pretty simple, you can get those tight. I am not a fan of taking the alternator off to have it tested. The car has to be assembled to work, and we want to see it work.

Normally, a dead battery is because of a light on somewhere. Try diligently to find this light. Look at the car in the pitch black dark. Put your phone in the glove box and make a video of what happens inside the glove box when it's closed. If you don't find a light, and the battery goes dead again, then you will need to get somebody involved who likes to troubleshoot electrical problems.
Thanks so much for your feedback. Thankfully, my husband was able to get the cables nice and tight and that seems to have done the trick. Hopefully it'll be just fine now!