General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

New Volvo Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Volvo Repairs

Hello,

My in laws want to purchase a new Volvo but have heard that only Dealers are able to service them because of special Diagnostic computers they have.

Anyone heard such a thing.

thanks,

Jeff

Old 04-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Default RE: New Volvo Repairs

I believe from 1999 and up Volvo uses the VADIS Computer Diagnostic system.

You would have to look for a Volvo Independant or Import Service Center that has the equipment for that.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:19 PM

I wouldnt take my volvo anywhere other than a dealership unless you have a trusted mechanic who knows much about volvos. They're complex cars and need special attention when being serviced, it comes with the deal as being the safest car in the world.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcguij1

I wouldnt take my volvo anywhere other than a dealership unless you have a trusted mechanic who knows much about volvos. They're complex cars and need special attention when being serviced, it comes with the deal as being the safest car in the world.
Sound like my mom. Take it to the dealership if you want to get ripped off big time. Take it to a trusted MECH if you want to pay less.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM

I see both sides of this. The dealer is not necessarily an enemy. They have the resources necessary to properly care for your car in all regards. But.... they have the stigma, in general, of being impersonal, cold and unresponsive. There are tons of stories about taking too long, missing the point (improper repair), and the obvious.. high prices. OTOH, independents usually are more inexpensive, more caring, and easier to communicat with. I guess the type of work needed has to be weighed. Is the work within the indie's capabililty (tools, experience, etc) ...if not, then you should seek the dealer. With the Volvos having VIDA is absolutely mandatory. Indies can subscribe to VIDA and obtain the hardware so they need to be polled on this before the appointment. Then, there are the unscrupulous dealers who are predatory..... the "food chain" syndrome -- everyone in the place is geared to receive a % of the job, therefore, the customer becomes a faceless number and a target. You might have the option of more than one dealer and more than one indie. I've urged friends out of my zone of influence, to poll other drivers: roll down the window and ask the driver of a car similar to yours, "Hey, where do you take your car?" Get concensus and make a choice. Call first to see if they are close by and have hours that work. Do they have loaners? Remember, you don't have to be loyal to anyone dealer or indie, but a close relationship helps, so don't get too paranoid or business-like. It may take sampling of these dealer or indie options before finding one that works. Sometimes the "oil change services" (7.5K, 22.5K, 37.5K for example) can be handled well by the indie and the "biggies" like the 30K and 60K by the dealer OR vise versa.
I think the main point here is to remain objective. Get involved with your car's maintenance. Don't be one who just drops the keys off with a, "Do whatcha gotta do" directive to the service writer. But don't micro manage either -- let them do their work and then appraise the work. Don't be so quick to throw the dealer under the bus. These late model cars are usually beyond the average driver's repair/maintenance expertise and capability, and most dealers have knowledgeable techs who care

Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 AM

If you can find an independent shop that knows enough about Volvo and has the necessary tools then thats awesome, but in my case, I live in northern NJ, there are know "good" mechanics in a 30 mile radius that has abundant experience or interest on working on a volvo. If you're someone who knows nothing about a car, specifically a volvo, your taking quite a chance by letting a local muffler, brake shop work on your car. If you have the knowledge and can question your local mechanic, and be able to monitor what his work is like then thats one thing, but most Volvo owners I see, mainly in my area are 40-60 year old people who wouldnt be able to tell you their battery from their exhaust tip, which is why I usually would tell people unless I know of their knowledge to spend the extra money and let Volvo take care of the car...but I guess it really all comes down to whos the owner and what needs to be serviced...

Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 PM

I've got a few mechanic friends working for various dealers and their opinion on the matter is the dealerships are typically more expensive because of all the warranty fixes they have to deal with. In my experience Dealers tend to slack off a bit on the Warranty fixes because they have to pay for them...but they'll give you their full attention as soon as the fix is out of your pocket. But because the prices are more expensive people usually find a mechanic to service their cars as soon as the warranties are up.

mmmmMMMMMmmmmm....that's the trend I notice. Plus....anything is going to be more expensive if your the only game in town...i.e. VADIS Computer Diagnostic system.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 PM

Why would you want to take a new car to an independant while it is under warranty and possibly void your warranty? On my 2006 V-70 minor services every 7500 miles are about $150 intermediates every 15K are about $300 ( I just had the 15K done last week), Major service at 60K intervals is $800- $1200. All cars sold in the USA by law have to be capable with OBD2 diagnostic systems for specific dianostic and engine mangement functions. Manufacturers on thier own can employ enhanced systems like Volvo Vadis system that perform functions beyond the OBD2 system.

In another life I was a service manager at a dealership, Dealers don't eat warranty repairs , the dealer is reimbursed by the manufacturer at a rate that is nearly always less than what the dealer charges the Consumer. Many dealers will use less experinced& lower paid techs to compensate. when I was writing service probaly 40-50% of the service I wrote was warranty work and we made money doing it.

Ask the service dept at your local dealer what the services cost before you buy. I called both local dealers and got estimates before I bought the car.

I also have a 99 S70 , It goes to a local independant Volvo shop for services that I can't do at home

Old 05-11-2007, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Rickc10ny

Why would you want to take a new car to an independant while it is under warranty and possibly void your warranty? On my 2006 V-70 minor services every 7500 miles are about $150 intermediates every 15K are about $300 ( I just had the 15K done last week), Major service at 60K intervals is $800- $1200. All cars sold in the USA by law have to be capable with OBD2 diagnostic systems for specific dianostic and engine mangement functions. Manufacturers on thier own can employ enhanced systems like Volvo Vadis system that perform functions beyond the OBD2 system.

In another life I was a service manager at a dealership, Dealers don't eat warranty repairs , the dealer is reimbursed by the manufacturer at a rate that is nearly always less than what the dealer charges the Consumer. Many dealers will use less experinced& lower paid techs to compensate. when I was writing service probaly 40-50% of the service I wrote was warranty work and we made money doing it.

Ask the service dept at your local dealer what the services cost before you buy. I called both local dealers and got estimates before I bought the car.

I also have a 99 S70 , It goes to a local independant Volvo shop for services that I can't do at home

So you're saying OBD-II will read VADIS...it just won't give you all the information that VADIS is capable of? Interesting.

I wouldn't bring a vehicle to an independant if it still had a warranty either...that's just silly. Use what the dealership gave you until it no longer applies is what I'm saying.

As for the dealer eating the cost of warranty work....like i said....heresay from a few machine heads I know. I've never worked for a dealership so I'm no authority on the subject. But I'd still think that the dealer stands to make more money on the repair that isn't covered by a warranty vs that same repair under warranty.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a dealership employee, I can verify that dealerships do not eat the cost of warranty work. It is also true that they make less $$from doing warranty work, but without it, very few dealership service departments could survive.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: ShoelessJohn

As a dealership employee, I can verify that dealerships do not eat the cost of warranty work. It is also true that they make less $$from doing warranty work, but without it, very few dealership service departments could survive.

"they" say the same thing about body shops tied into dealerships....it's a shame too. I know a lot a good painters who don't get to paint enough because they're stuck doing dealer work.