General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Oil Change Scams in New Orleans. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Scams in New Orleans. Why?

I posted about a year ago questioning about an oil leak. The topic came up about an oil change that was never done by Guys Automotive on 9/12/2019, even though I was invoiced for it and I paid for it. I will reattach it (photo#1) Attached is a photo of my dipstick on 9-27-2019, that did not appear to have fresh oil on it. (photo #2). On 10/8/2019, the oil was actually really changed via me and someone I knew, who knew how to work on cars as a hobby. Once we did that, the oil looked clear. I waited a few weeks to be sure. On 10/21/2020, I re-photographed the oil on my dipstick and it was looking good, photo attached. (photo #3) So it was obvious that Guys Auto never changed the oil.

So I found a mechanic via your recommendation (Briskers). He changed my oil again in February, 2020 with me there, and it looked like it did when me and the hobbiest changed it in October, 2020. So he was not a scammer.

And so then I was referred to Keith's Automotive on Jefferson Highway. I understand they are also supposed to be pretty reputable. But obviously not, there is STILL a problem. I took your (the moderator MT6127) recommendation and got high mileage platinum synthetic oil (I chose the Penzoil), and brought it in to Keiths on 8/13/2020 for my oil change. Attached is the invoice. (photo #4) It is 9/02/2020 and I have maybe driven the car about 200 miles, idk, but it's not much. Attached is the photo of my dipstick today, on 9/02/2020. (photo #5) They did not change my oil, it looks like it did after Guys allegedly changed it. I have no idea why my car sat up on a lift for hours or why the oil was never changed. So they called me up and told me it was done and invoiced me for it. But it was not done.

I do not know how much you can say, but if you live in New Orleans metro, i would advise anyone who takes their car in for oil changes to mechanics here, to be familiar with how your oil is supposed to look on a dipstick before and after an oil change.

Keith's took my oil and did not change it, nor did they change the bulb I gave to them. I had to go buy another one and get them to do it on my next visit. So should I ask Keith's for reimbursement for both my cost of the oil and the service, and go re-purchase the oil and bring it somewhere else, where I can watch them actually do it?. Or, should I get the oil and bring it back to Keith's, and get them to reimburse me for the cost of the oil, since it is obvious they never did the service, which I paid for?

My oil dipstick on 9/27/2019, 15 days after an alleged oil change.

Oil on dipstick on 10/21/2019, after an actual oil change was really done on 10/8/2019.

Keith's invoice for an alleged oil change done on 8/13/2020.

Dipstick on 9-02-2020 after alleged oil change on 8-13-2020.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have any actual proof the oil was not changed. You should have better proof before trashing businesses.

Here is an explanation that is very plausible:

You brought your car to the first place with dirty oil. They changed it. You drove for two weeks or so and some of the dirty oil that remained (you can't get it ALL out) mixed with the clean oil. You changed it again, but because it wasn't nearly as dirty as it was before the first oil change, less dirty oil mixed with your new oil.

Drive for 7500 miles. Then check your oil. It will be much dirtier than any of the pictures you posted. None of those show dirty oil.

Last edited by ES6T; 09-03-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:36 PM

I see a difference in the oil. I remember what it looked like a year ago when it wasn't changed. I remember what it looked like after it was really changed and I have the photo, not only when we did it, but also when Briskers did it in February. Then why why did they not provide me with the video showing that they did? Why was I charged for a rear wiper blade that was never put on, but rather put on when I went back? Why wasn't the bulb I brought for the oil change, put in and I had to buy another one? Why wasn't I allowed to watch them do the work when I first went in? I asked. Why did it sit up on a lift for hours that morning, surely that was enough time to drain the oil!!!! Where is the video proving that they did change the oil with the oil I brought to them?

Old 09-04-2020, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

The oil in all those pictures is clean. Drive your car for however long you usually do between oil changes and check it then. That's what it would look like if they really didn't change it.

Most shops don't have cameras in the bay for paranoid people. The invoice from Keith's doesn't show anything regarding bulbs. Your other invoice shows two bulbs replaced. If you brought one, that is why you had to buy another one

Last edited by ES6T; 09-04-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:34 AM

Last year I raised this same question and my feelings were correct. Attached above is a photo of my dipstick on 9/27/2019 right after I paid for an oil change. I will reattach it. (photo #1)

So we changed the oil right after, to see. Attached is a photo of a sample of the oil that was IN THE CAR after the alleged oil change I paid for in September, 2019 (photo #2). Attached is a photo of a sample of the sludge in the oil filter housing after the alleged oil change I paid for in September, 2019 (photo #3) Attached is the dipstick after we actually did it (photo #4).

I do not see a difference between those two mechanics and their services thus far, as based on what I see on the dipstick. And being that I had this problem last year, wouldn't surprise me if I am having it again, especially since the video proving they did it, wasn't available.

Why would I want to "trash a business" (as you have said) without a reason? You think I WANT to be put through all of this? If it's true, speak it, just give the proof, and I am.

Photo on dipstick 9-27-2019 after an alleged oil change.

Photo of sample of oil in car on 10-8-2019 after alleged oil change in September, 2019.

Photo of sludge in cup on 10-8-2019 after alleged oil change in September, 2019.

Photo of oil on dipstick on 10-21-2019 after oil change was done on 10-8-2019.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Some synthetics can darken rather quickly. It is normal. Sludge in the filter housing is not unheard of. We don't scrub them out. You've shown no proof of anything. You clearly don't trust anyone so change your own oil.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It happens but I would agree that the appearance on a dip stick wouldn't get you a settlement in court.
And, painting the city of New Orleans with such a broad brush seems presumptive.
I had an Acura dealer charge me for a power steering fluid change, but, when I checked it - WHEN I GOT HOME ABOUT 3 MILES AWAY - I did the same thing and it was really filthy. I called the service agent in the morning and took the car back.
I received;
The fluid change
Next oil change free coupon (for synthetic although I didn't see them put it in. I did check it though)
Inside and outside detail
A verbal apology from the owner.
Why? Because I had them dead to rights. Had I gone in weeks later I think it would have been different. And rightfully so.
Just move on, next time check it right away. Odds of getting scammed like that twice are really high, three times would be astronomical.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

simple answer is to do your own oil. You can even go to a Jiffylube and watch the oil drain out :-) Oils have detergent in them so as soon as you drop in the new oil, it goes to work and will start pulling in residue from the bottom of the oil pan, galleys, filter cover. The oil should still feel smooth and slippery on the dipstick (do a feel check just before your next oil change and you'll see what I mean about the feel of dirty oil).

Old 09-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Mt6127: you are correct.

I did repurchase my oil and my filter (since it was stolen by Keith's Automotive). I brought it to a rapid oil change type place yesterday. I watched him do it. Attached is a photo of my dipstick. I always thought it was better to take it to a mechanic because I was told they take a little more time to drain the oil and "do it right". A few out there even really do it and do it right, I know that for a fact. Two didn't do it at all and this appears to be a growing problem. I brought my car to Keiths first thing in the am because they don't take appointments, it sat on a lift for hours. They didn't change the oil. But yet ES6T still defends them, perhaps he gets some type of kickback.

I have another question/comment I will post on another string about whether Keiths did other work on my car that i was invoiced for. I asked in the beginning if I could watch and they refused. Then the female manager came out and said I could watch, after I was scammed.

As a point of reference, all you need to do is go back up and look at the photo of my dipstick on 9-2-2020 after the alleged oil change was done by Keiths.

Dipstick 9-11-2020, day after oil change at quick oil change business.

Last edited by colleenscc1; 09-11-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

final step is to check the dipstick for color and feel after 500-1000 miles. to see how much it darkens. that will give you a good sense about your car

Old 09-11-2020, 04:28 PM

I offered to pay the mechanic who changed my oil in February (and he did change my oil), before Keith's, to drop the oil pan, and he did not think it was necessary. It did/does not seem the oil color is bad or unusual for 6 month old oil, either. We were sure the oil was 6 months old because I changed it with someone else prior to that.

Seems 3 weeks would be an easy gauge. 500 or 1000 miles could be in a few months.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

The dipstick picture from 9-2 DOES NOT SHOW DIRTY OIL.

If you take a car like yours and drive it 7500 miles, the oil will be dirty. If you change it, check the oil and take a picture of the dipstick and then change the oil again, of course it will be cleaner. I don't know what you don't understand about that, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited by ES6T; 09-11-2020 at 10:19 PM.